Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:smokin: :smokin: Does anyone know where I could pick up some large diameter steel pipe, 18" to 22". I am wanting to build a smoker/bbq pit over the winter. I have been smoking with my small bbq grill but want to go "BIG".

·
Registered
875 Posts
Damn you can do alot of smoking with a 18-22 inch pipe.:thumb: Guess that explains the progress on the jeep:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

How long does it have to be, seems like there might have been something around that size out in the bone yard at my dads work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
get an old full size water heater; cut off the shell, fittings and the insulation and get the steel tank out, they are the purfect size and already have the ends welded on. Just cut a door weld on some legs, and a stack, they last longer than barrels and are not as heavy as pipe, plus you can find them everywere for free.if you need more info just PM me

·
Registered
875 Posts
There ya go use the water heater idea. I have one down stairs that Susan has been trying to get me to get out of there for a long time now.:thumb:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jason you must have got off early saturday judging by the time of your post.

That's a BIG crack pipe. I think I could get a buzz from smoking that.:shocked:

I need 7-8 feet of heavy wall pipe, 3/16-1/4' would be good. I would be able to get away with some smaller pieces since the smoker will have a 4' cooking chamber and a 2'-3' fire box. The heavier the wall the better it will hold the heat and have a more consistant cooking temperature.

I've heard that the galvanized is a no-no to use because of the toxicity. I would like to find unused pipe. I may have to find some that has been use for water or some thing, old and rusted is fine.

I saw some that was being used for pillings while on my way to Boise, but nobody was around. Thought I might get a drop if they had any. I may go down to the irrigation companies and see if they have any they would want to get rid of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts