Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I figured it was time to get a discussion started about our September Rubicon/Fordyce trip. It will occur the week of September 16th. This is just some information to start the discussion of what will work for those going. Also lets try to limit input to those going. If you are going, then please post and let us know so we can create a tenative list.
have at it. :popcorn:

thanks,
Jack

SRO Rubicon Days

[email protected]

Date: Week of September 16th.

Proposed Trail schedule:
Be ready to hit the Rubicon trail on Monday morning, September 17th. Plan on traveling down on Saturday or Sunday. From Idaho Falls it is about 700 miles via Twin Falls / Jackpot / Wells. Without a trailer it’s an 11 hour drive. I would allow 15 hours or so.

o Rubicon Trail , spend two days on the trail starting Monday morning and getting off the trail Tuesday night.
o Wednesday – regroup / relax / camp / motel / Lake Tahoe / Reno / etc. see the sites as desired.
o Fordyce - can be done in a long day. Great camping at trails end – MeadowLake. We can play it by ear and camp on the trail as needed or get to the trails end and camp at MeadowLake. Plan to hit the trail on Thursday morning.
o We will wrap it up on Friday night so we can hit the road on Saturday morning to head back or ???.

Other

Trail Heads:
o The Rubicon can be accessed from AuburnCA on I-80 then via Georgetown or off highway 50 via Ice House Road. My personal preference is to go through Auburn (I used to live there).
o Fordyce is accessed via the EagleLakes exit which is just west of Donner Pass / Summit on I-80.
Both trails end a considerable distance from their respective trail heads. Trailers can be left at the end of the Rubicon trail at the Homewood staging area, but then you must drive around to the trail head at least 60 miles or so depending on the route. It is best to have a street legal rig to make logistics easier. We will have to cover these points at one of the meetings this summer. A central location would be in the Truckee area as both trips more or less end up there. I believe you can also leave trailers at Cisco Grove for a small fee. We’ll have to check that out.

Camping:
On the trail it is primitive camping. Plan on someway to handle waste – don’t plan on just going out in the woods and digging a hole. We need to talk about a better way of doing this. Maybe Pett bags. Also we need to get a campfire permit.
o Rubicon trail head – camping available at Loon lake or Gerle Creek campgrounds. I like Gerle Creek better – nice little lake.
o Fordyce – Indian Springs campground (by EagleLakes turnoff). Another OHV campground just off the trail a few miles in (can’t remember the name) or primitive camping several miles in at EagleLakes (pretty).

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/dev-camp/loongerle/
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/yr_south/summer.shtml
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/svrd/summer.shtml

Some Web Sites:
http://www.californiajeeper.com/index.htm
http://www.rubicontrail.org/
http://rubicontrail.com/

Safety list used by California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs. Probably not bad to use as a guide:

Safety Requirements
1. Roll bar or factory installed hard top.
2. Functional parking brake or micro-lock
3. Tow strap or rope (recommend rated at 2 times the vehicle weight)
4. First aid kit.
5. Jack capable of lifting the vehicle & tools to change tire.
6. Spare tire with diameter within 3 inches of existing tires (no temporary spares)
7. Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good/full, appropriately stored
8. Seat belts for all vehicle occupants
9. Antenna(s) must not exceed 4’6”
10. Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e. tow hooks, receiver, etc.
Tow balls are not recommended.
11. Battery hold downs (no bungie cords).
12. Must have functioning low range in transfer case.

Additional Vehicle Requirements for Short Wheel Base Trips
o 71” maximum width of body, cage, and/or non-flexible flares
o 80” maximum overall width sidewall to sidewall
o 122” maximum wheelbase
o Traction aiding differentials in either front or rear axle are required on all short wheel base runs

Issues:
Entertainment / shopping / site seeing for those traveling and not going on the trail.
Travel down as a group
Camp by trail head or go up to trial head Monday AM or both.
Other issues?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I am planning on making the trip. Info looks good, I would prefer to have other requirements like lockers f/r and 35's or larger. Let's have some sort of inspection prior to leaving. I would hate to have problems on the trail. I am excited about this!

·
Registered
393 Posts
:thumb: We have every intention of making this trip also. Looking forward to seeing something I,ve just heard about so far. :drive:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
guess I need to figure out how to make mine street legal for the drive out. Chuck are you bringing your Scruggy or Jeep?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'll take the jeep, It's street legal already and works fair well if I careful not to break it[ I'll also take spare parts:rotfl: ]

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
As of right now I would like to go if that would be ok with SRO, or is it a club only function?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Th is is not nessesarily limited to SRO only. What will limit attendence is the type of rig being used. It is not fair to the other people attending when one vehicle is limited and must be fixed or towed the whole time. That being said we probably will be developing some guidelines. Most likely we will require at least 33 inch tires and some kind of traction differential minimum in the rear and maybe front and back. We are going to talk this over at one of the future SRO meetings and then will post it up. The Rubicon can be done in a less prepared rig than Fordyce so maybe we'll have 2 sets of requirements.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I will contact Jack and try to get a meeting scheduled

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jack is in Kansas City right now as his son was just married in Nebraska. He will be home by the end of the week. I can call him and let him know you want to set something up so he'll be thinking about it. I think he was planning on doing something at his house but I am not sure... I wish I was closer so I could come but that doesn't look like it will be happening. :darn:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Jack is in Kansas City right now as his son was just married in Nebraska. He will be home by the end of the week. I can call him and let him know you want to set something up so he'll be thinking about it. I think he was planning on doing something at his house but I am not sure... I wish I was closer so I could come but that doesn't look like it will be happening. :darn:

That would be great if you could put a bug in his ear for us. How are you doing down in Texas? Hope all is well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's a long shot but I'm interested in the trip. I also would be going thru the old home town of Auburn. :smokin:

·
Registered
401 Posts
That would be great if you could put a bug in his ear for us.
Done. He said he'd be back tonight or tomorrow and he would get going on it.

How are you doing down in Texas? Hope all is well.
Thanks for asking. Things are going really well. I really like my job and we close on a house this week. The only bad thing is there isn't a lot of land in my area open to wheeling so I have to drive about 2 hours north.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, Here is where we are so far.

Those who have committed.

Dan and Leslie Bonney - Idaho Falls, have contact information
Scott Johnson - Idaho Falls, have contact information
Chuck and Sherry Coble - Boise, have contact information
Jack Handly - Idaho Falls - Me!

Those expressing interest but not fully committed

"ricochet" - Boise - don't have any other information
Mickey - "mainiac" - have phone number. 785 prefix. is that boise?
Brent - Iona (Idaho Falls) no other information
Pepdaddy - no other information.

For those in SE Idaho lets get together and make some plans. Those further out we will let you know what is going on.

How about a causual get together at my place. Open dates for me are. August 13, 14, 20, 22, 23, 27. The only weekend I have right now is August 31st or September the 1st. All day on the 1st if we want to work on rigs. Dan, Scott and Brent. Let me know what works. Also anyone else who is interested get back to me with your information.

Jack.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
OK, Here is where we are so far.

Those who have committed.

Dan and Leslie Bonney - Idaho Falls, have contact information
Scott Johnson - Idaho Falls, have contact information
Chuck and Sherry Coble - Boise, have contact information
Jack Handly - Idaho Falls - Me!

Those expressing interest but not fully committed

"ricochet" - Boise - don't have any other information
Mickey - "mainiac" - have phone number. 785 prefix. is that boise?
Brent - Iona (Idaho Falls) no other information
Pepdaddy - no other information.

For those in SE Idaho lets get together and make some plans. Those further out we will let you know what is going on.

How about a causual get together at my place. Open dates for me are. August 13, 14, 20, 22, 23, 27. The only weekend I have right now is August 31st or September the 1st. All day on the 1st if we want to work on rigs. Dan, Scott and Brent. Let me know what works. Also anyone else who is interested get back to me with your information.

Jack.

I will pm you some of the numbers. Ricoche is Chuck Coble
I talked to Mickey last night, very interrested, will pm you his number, he is in Blackfoot
Brent is in SRO and is in IF. I will find his number for you.
August 20, 22, 23 are good for me as well as the 1st. Just let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: SRO Rubicon Days August 31 planning get together

O.K. For those going to do the Rubicon (and Fordyce if it's open) we will be having an organizational meeting at my house on Friday, August the 31st at 6 pm. It will be a pot luck. I will supply meat and buns. Bring the kids and they can play in the back yard if you want.

We will be putting plans towards:
Transportation issues - trailers, tow rigs, passengers. - Anyone have a two rig trailer?

Schedule - Rubicon - monday and tuesday. If Fordyce isn't open we need to discuss alternatives. Bring your ideas.

And any other things you can think of.

Come if you are going or if you think you might be. I will call those who have responded back to me. PM me for address and directions to the house.

We will post and/or e-mail the "minutes" of the meeting.

I will try and make this months SRO meeting but will definately be late.

Jack

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I am seriously considering this trip but a few things my rig is 88" sidewall to sidewall and is no where near street legal for the drive back. Is the width limitations just a guide line or what. How much of a pain would it be for me to get a trailer to the end of the trailhead?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Great! I talked to Shane Yost and he gave me some great ideas that would alleviate your concerns with trailering your rig. Give me a call, I will give the info at the meeting too.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts