Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a little input from some people with more experience than me. My wife’s (yeah, I know, don’t say it) pick-up is a ’98 Dodge 1500. It’s runnin’ the 318 motor which was fine until she decided it needed some 33”x12.5” Dirt Grips. Needless to say, you know what that did to my gear ratio. I’ve got a Jet Performance Module on it (the street one), a K&N filter, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Spin Tech muffler with a 3” cat back exhaust. At this point I know I’m not going to make any big changes unless I drop some serious coin so I need to make the most of the little things. It’s time to change the plugs. If the hype is correct, then I need platinum and the more ground electrodes the better (like the Bosch Platinum 2 and +4). My question is, is it worth the extra coin to pop for these higher end plugs? The guys at one parts store tell me it really doesn’t matter because electricity follows the path least resistance so multiple grounds don’t help much. I realize plugs won’t make the Ram a race truck but will they help with the mileage and power enough (we also pull a 24’ camp trailer) to make it worth the extra cash?

I know I’m long winded but I figure if I want input I need to give you the whole picture. Thanks to anyone willing to give me some feedback.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I could never tell much diffrence in the plugs you might gain a few hp but not much.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
I have always found that running the right factory plugs work the best. They were designed for that motor to give it the optimum burn. If you have ever noticed, in aftermarket plugs, the same part number fits alot of engines, ford,chevy,dodge, etc........

I run delco's in a GM, Champion in a Mopar, and Motorcrafts in a FOMOCO.

The only other plug that I have found that works very well are NGK's.

You wouldn't believe how many multielectrode plugs I have changed out for factory ones because of weird driveability issues!

There are a lot of other driveablility techs that agree with my opinion too.... :thumb:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lumpdog said:
I have always found that running the right factory plugs work the best. They were designed for that motor to give it the optimum burn. If you have ever noticed, in aftermarket plugs, the same part number fits alot of engines, ford,chevy,dodge, etc........

I run delco's in a GM, Champion in a Mopar, and Motorcrafts in a FOMOCO.

The only other plug that I have found that works very well are NGK's.

You wouldn't believe how many multielectrode plugs I have changed out for factory ones because of weird driveability issues!

There are a lot of other driveablility techs that agree with my opinion too.... :thumb:
X2
You won't find a better running plug than what the factory puts in.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I know that people like the NGK but I have had nothing but problems with them. Seems that a third of them are weak out of the box. I tried them in my rig a few times and gave up. I just tried a new set in my motorcycle and one of them is already dying.

I've had the best luck with Autolites.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
41 Posts
I work for one of those parts houses.. and I'd have to agree with general statement that : "The plugs won't really gian you anything other than life of the plug." What I have experienced with selling these types of plugs, is that you don't see a big enough difference in them to fork out the money, unless you're running a performance Jap motor.
(Work good on High output rice for some reason.) :firedevi:

A good set of single platinum plugs (about $2.00 to $2.50 each) will do you good for about three years (if everthing else is up to snuff). If you opt for the standard plugs you'll probably be changing them about once a year. As far as brand goes, everyone has there preferences. You'll just have to figure out what works best for your rig.

GOOD LUCK!

LIT :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts