Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the pinion went on me. The ring survived OK though. I cant remeber if they are matched sets or something.

And all tore down...

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
a little bit of duct tape and you'll be good as new :finger:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yeah, Blt2Krl is correct, they are matched sets, and I know that Genuin Gear is cheap, but now so do you. :thumb:

Hey they do have a lifetime warranty on them though, I know that Shaw has used his lifetime warranty with his twice now......

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
it isn't that they are matched sets... its that they wear to each other, so if you put another pinion with the ring gear, you will have whining and clatter and clash like you wouldn't believe.... we had a kid try that at school on his rig a couple of years ago... it was funny.... :rotfl: :rotfl: he lasted about a week, then he put a whole new set in.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Too much trouble Matt to just do a pinion gear. I have helped do that on some race cars and man those gears were loud and I mean hear them over the unmuffled motor loud. I think the main problem with just replacing the pinion (other than noise) is the ring gear may have cracks in it you can't see no point in spending the money to just break it later. I actually have alot of expireince with gears and if someone has gone through a couple of sets in even a couple of years it is usaully due to the setup being wrong. I have setup my own gears and each time I learned something new. It is worth it to pay the cash to have a professional set them up. Even though he is tough to work with sometimes Rick at Ricks Off Road up here in IF really knows his way around gears. I would suggest letting him set them up for you. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot about the gear wear, good point.

Yeah the Genuin gears are not great but I'm in a hurry so I'll just get them to replace them. To give them credit, They were not the root cause, the pinion nut let go and the pinion gear shot into the housing under a heavy load. The threads on it look fine. I now have a pinion nut with no threads on it. :?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sandman said:
I forgot about the gear wear, good point.

Yeah the Genuin gears are not great but I'm in a hurry so I'll just get them to replace them. To give them credit, They were not the root cause, the pinion nut let go and the pinion gear shot into the housing under a heavy load. The threads on it look fine. I now have a pinion nut with no threads on it. :?
Didn't the nut come from Genuine too. :finger:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They will not warrently it as it was not a direct sale to a customer (it went through Gate City)

And you are right about the nut. I'm going to have to buy a real set of gears.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just got off the phone with HBRK in Boise and they hooked me up with a set of Yukon gears and an install kit. I might be able to get them in this weekend!

I might make Twin Falls yet. 8)

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sandman said:
Well I just got off the phone with HBRK in Boise and they hooked me up with a set of Yukon gears and an install kit. I might be able to get them in this weekend!

I might make Twin Falls yet. 8)
Thanks for the order Matt :thumb:

For everyone else that doesnt know....We get gears in 2 days and have awesome prices :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
AJ Johnson said:
it isn't that they are matched sets... its that they wear to each other, so if you put another pinion with the ring gear, you will have whining and clatter and clash like you wouldn't believe.... we had a kid try that at school on his rig a couple of years ago... it was funny.... :rotfl: :rotfl: he lasted about a week, then he put a whole new set in.
Wrong there captian, any repuable gear company matches the pinion and ring gear together to aide in setup. Most won't sell you a pinion for your afore mentioned statements.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
they are matched to a point... but there is still some interchangeability... I'm not sure what, but the numbers stamped on them have something to do with it... I wouldn't ever use a pieced together set, but I know that it can be done if both pieces are new, and you understand how the numbers relate to how the cutting tolerances, and they match.. oh well, it seems a moot point now anyhow.. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
"Even though he is tough to work with sometimes Rick at Ricks Off Road up here in IF really knows his way around gears. I would suggest letting him set them up for you."
Hey Eric do you remember about how much he charges per axle?
I tried stopping by his shop the last two days to ask but he's hard to catch sometimes.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cory would give me an awsome deal.

I decided that its time to learn how to do it. I've been reading half the day and went and bought some of the tools I'll need. I plan on messing with it this weekend.

It doesnt look to bad to do. Just go slow.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Just a thought has anyone every used drag race gears? They are a little bit softer to deal with the shock loads that a drag car puts on the gears. If you drive it on the street they won't last very long but there are alot of rigs that don't get driven on the street (like Matts) except to the trail and back again. You would have to talk to a gear manfacturer to really get the lowdown on these but for people with big motors and big tires it might make some sense. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
blazinzuk said:
Just a thought has anyone every used drag race gears? They are a little bit softer to deal with the shock loads that a drag car puts on the gears. If you drive it on the street they won't last very long but there are alot of rigs that don't get driven on the street (like Matts) except to the trail and back again. You would have to talk to a gear manfacturer to really get the lowdown on these but for people with big motors and big tires it might make some sense. :rotfl: :rotfl:
Eric, great idea, and it has been tried before in rock crawling rigs......And it doesnt work out.

What happens is that the gears are not as hard, and they end up distorting and breaking teath off...

It has actually been proven, that if you Cryo the gear it will make them stronger and last longer both on road and off..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts