Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good luck to everyone going to Sada this weekend. Have fun and kick some butt :drive:. We aren't going this year. Between Castleford last weekend and vacation next weekend we are up to our eyeballs. They usually have an awesome Dutch Oven dinner the evening before the race (tonight). We highly recommend it :thumb:.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just got back from Soda. They put on a great race. Some of the top mud racers from 5 or 6 states. The weather was odd to say the least. The days were warm to hot with a rain storm of biblical proportions the first evening the wind all night both nights. Still the racing was awsome. They had 7 open class cars ( blowers, 2500 hp + ), 10 or 12 pro mud cars, 14 mud mod cars, 6 street monster trucks ( this is our pro truck class with nos and blowers), 17 pro stock trucks, 15 or 16 super stock, about 8 stock trucks and about a dozen powder puff trucks.

They wouldnt let us run two classes so Mark got 4 th in pro stock, behind trucks from Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. I got first in the street monster class( pro truck ). And thats all I remember.

Evidently the person that usually does the BBQ friday evening had another comitment.

We are waiting to hear from RickJ. He also ran the street monster class but had a problem with his engine. Not sure of the extent of the damage.

All in all a great time look forward to next year.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
The days were warm to hot with a rain storm of biblical proportions the first evening the wind all night both nights.
Yeah that same storm came through Pocatello and dropped some good sized hail on the south side of town.

Gald to hear the races went well. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats to both of you guys :thumb::beer:. So did you take both rigs over? If so, how did they class the flat fender? Must have been done different than how we do it over here.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We took both trucks. The flat fender would have made mud mod but because they would only let us run one class I decided to run what they call street monster, which is our pro truck. In fact it looks like they cut and pasted our class rules. Im not sure how I would have done in Mud mod. They had some unreal fast mud mod trucks. In fact two of the mud mod runs were faster than my NOS run with the boggers. Although we are not sure how the jeep would have reacted with out the NOS. Next door to our camp was a group of old timers from Utah we got to be friends with they seemed to think we may have done better without the gas. It appears that hooking up 38 inch boggers with 1000 hp is hard. The starting line was very slick and the mud was consistant with goose poop. They did give us a bunch of good advise on how our four link is set up and some ideas for that.

Have to say that everybody in the mud racing community from Idaho to Utah to Colorado even California were great. Proud to be part of it. People that have been doing this for 30 years we jumping in to help out when Ricks Jeep broke or to give advise or whatever.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have to say Soda Springs puts on quite a race. Lots of different vehicles from all over the region. It was a great experience to compete against so many tough racers. They use combined times to score how you place, so you have to make two good runs to place.
Like Glen said the weather was pretty crazy. Luckily we were eating dinner when the big rain storm hit on Friday. But the wind both nights was intense, my son and I were sleeping in a tent and I don't think I slept for an hour straight both nights. The wind kept trying to roll the tent over it was blowing so hard.

Unfortunatly they didn't have the BBQ on Friday, like Glen said the cook had another comitment.

Looking forward to racing next year!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We hated to miss it this year. Like I said before, Soda is a real good reality check for how the world outside of Southwest Idaho does racing. The people are great, the competition is great and it's a first class event.

"The starting line was very slick and the mud was consistant with goose poop."

YUP! The mud in Soda is a whole different kind of goo. I remember pulling up to the line and sliding for a couple of feet before sinking down at least 6" and then spinning like crazy at the launch. REAL slippery to say the least. Has something to do with the silica out of the mine I think someone said. I don't think it's as heavy as our mud which means it isn't friendly to big, fat Boggers to grab ahold of.

"....... which is our Pro Truck. In fact it looks like they cut and pasted our class rules."

When Dale contacted me asking about our "new" class I just copied what we had and sent it to him. Sounds like he did as you said but just changed the name. What do you think people thought of having that class?

Sorry to hear the dutch oven dinner didn't happen. That is one of the reasons we liked the Soda race so much :(.

Sorry to hear Rick had more engine problems. Did he build a new engine or fix the one he ran in Castlford?

How about #3 cylinder in yours?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Actually going to pull the motor in the CJ before Sept 29 race at pleasant valley. I have the machine shop getting another block ready. #3 still isnt firing. One of the guys Mark works with had a similar problem and it turned out to be a pin hole or small crack in the block that would only open up when it gets hot.

Rick fixed his old engine and after finding a small timing problem had it running great. Not sure what all happened, just it shut down at the end of the pit. He got towed back in and refired but it was only running on a couple of cylilnders. Apears number 2 piston was gone. Done know if it was from the nos or what.

They seam to like the "Pro Truck" class. We had 6 trucks in the class. One was a nice full size blazer with a blown 427 chevy and dual carbs. The only thing I was kinda bummed about was that they wouldnt let us run two classes. Would have been a perfect time to see how much the NOS helped or hurt on the boggers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did lose the #2 piston looks like I got a bad one. It happens but I wish it would quit happening to me.Bent the intake vale and bent a push rod.Should have it back together by the end of the week. Had a good time just would like to of haved a better run.All the other racers and Mark and Glen were great give me all the help I needed.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Actually going to pull the motor in the CJ before Sept 29 race at pleasant valley. I have the machine shop getting another block ready. #3 still isnt firing. One of the guys Mark works with had a similar problem and it turned out to be a pin hole or small crack in the block that would only open up when it gets hot.
Another block bites the dust. Kind of sounds like a song. Man, you guys really do need a warehouse full of blocks, don't you? Dang.

So, something tells me YOU GUYS are going to be the ones to beat now :thumb:.
.........They seam to like the "Pro Truck" class. We had 6 trucks in the class. One was a nice full size blazer with a blown 427 chevy and dual carbs. The only thing I was kinda bummed about was that they wouldnt let us run two classes. Would have been a perfect time to see how much the NOS helped or hurt on the boggers.
I forgot to tell you about the combined time thing. I have always been torn between doing it that way or the best time. With the way Soda does it it means consistancy is part of the criterion for winning. It means someone can't just buy a junk yard engine and put a ton of horsepower to it for one pass and win. However, I like the way we do it because it allows for one bad pass for whatever reason (bad lane, missed shift, forgot to lock the hubs, etc.).

[quote Rick]
I did lose the #2 piston looks like I got a bad one. It happens but I wish it would quit happening to me.Bent the intake vale and bent a push rod.Should have it back together by the end of the week. Had a good time just would like to of haved a better run.All the other racers and Mark and Glen were great give me all the help I needed.
I hear you. Bad luck seems to run in 3's (or 4's, or 5's...). Been there, it sucks. I hope it's all better soon so that bad ass Jeep can do what I know it's capable of. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NICE! :thumb: Looks like you guys had some good passes :drive:Sorry we missed it.

Sure doesn't sound like the Jeep is only running on 7?

·
Registered
26 Posts
gentelmen

i had a great time in soda even though my hot rod wasnt up there. it was great to finally meet a few of the faces. i talked with mark h for a bit,about maybe getting a few of the utah racers to head up that way

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome Coombsr,
I remember talking to you about your mud racing club from Utah. I really enjyed seeing the all the different rigs at Soda, looking forward to next year!!
Hope you can make it up for one of our last races this year, either Pleasant Valley on Sept 29 or Weiser on Oct 6th. They both are great races.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts