Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any insights on this? I just found it while browsing the Idaho BLM website. I'm reading through the entire 575pg :shocked: document now.

DRAFT SNAKE RIVER BIRDS OF PREY NATIONAL CONSERVATION AREA
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PLAN AND
DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT
ADA, CANYON, ELMORE, AND OWYHEE COUNTIES, IDAHO
1. Responsible Agency: United States Department of the Interior
Bureau of Land Management
2. Draft (X) Final ( )
3. Administrative Action (X) Legislative Action ( )
4. Abstract: The Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area (NCA) Draft Resource
Management Plan/Environmental Impact Statement has identified four alternatives for managing
approximately 483,700 acres of public land in southwest Idaho. These alternatives were developed
after consultation with both the Shoshone-Bannock and Shoshone Paiute American Indian
Tribes, and with extensive input from the public. Owyhee County and the Idaho Army National
Guard (IDARNG) have been cooperators in the process. The public helped identify issues that
were used to develop the Desired Future Conditions (DFC) that became the goals for each alternative.
Each alternative differs in emphasis, but must achieve the DFC to some degree, resulting
in alternatives that vary in terms of the timeframe needed to achieve the DFC.
Alternative A – Current Management (No Action)
Theme: The habitat restoration program would be driven primarily by emergency fire rehabilitation
processes, resulting in a minimal increase in the acreage of shrub communities. Current uses would be
accommodated, but could be moderated based on new laws, regulations, or policies.
Alternative B
Theme: Emphasis is on restoring a moderate amount of raptor and raptor prey habitat in addition to
those areas affected by emergency fire rehabilitation and fuels management projects. This alternative
would accommodate recreation, military and commodity uses that are compatible with the purposes
of the NCA.
Alternative C
Theme: This alternative emphasizes the restoration and rehabilitation of all non-shrub areas outside
the Orchard Training Area (OTA) to improve raptor and raptor prey habitat. To support this level of
habitat restoration, recreation and military training would be substantially restricted, and livestock
grazing preference would be eliminated.
Alternative D – Preferred Alternative
Theme: This alternative emphasizes the restoration and rehabilitation of all non-shrub areas outside
the OTA to improve raptor and raptor prey habitat, while imposing only moderate restrictions on recreation,
military training, and commercial uses.
5. Date comments must be received: August 17, 2006
6. Date Draft EIS made available to EPA and public: May 19, 2006

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
if I read that right, depending on which theme is chosen, could run the gamut from little to no impact on us, to full on restricton from any trails in that area?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, it appears that way, which is why I'm working through reading the entire text. One of the options looks like it restricts OHV almost entirely. When I get done with the document I'll post up a quick read synopsis for everyone, the best choice for us to vote on, and how people can vote for an option via the web.

If my eyes don't fall outta my skull I should have that done either tonight or early tomorrow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another important aspect to this situation is the public field trip scheduled for JULY 15th here's the info from the BLM newsletter:

Boise District Office. The Idaho BLM Boise District, Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area (NCA) Draft RMP-EIS has been released for public review and comment.

The comment period runs from June 2 through August 31, 2006. During June, the NCA hosted four community meetings to provide additional information to enhance the public's understanding of the issues and alternatives in the Draft RMP-EIS.

Representatives from the NCA hosted a field trip for the Boise District Resource Advisory Council and Intergovernmental Coordination Group on June 26 for members of the public to better understand management actions proposed in the plan. Another public field trip is scheduled for July 15. (Contact: John Sullivan, 208-384-3338)

You can read the entire newsletter from: http://www.id.blm.gov/extnews/july06/index.htm

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so in a nutshell this is what the document says:

1. The birds of prey area needs to handle the following problems (and others):
A. Erosion, and air, soil and water quality
B. Noxious weeds
C. Vandalism of oregon trail and tribal artifacts
D. Dangers and garbage caused by increased number of reckless shooters
E. Management of National Guard operatives and OHV recreation
F. Grazing

All of this of course goes to preserve the quality of land, wildlife, historical and tribal value of the area etc.

Here's the options (or rather my interpretation of the boring complicated stuff they wrote):
A. Says leave stuff pretty much as it is, minimal changes occur as needed and deemed by the BLM to prevent spread of noxious weeds and break down of soil, or environmental quality.

B. Says leave things fairly open but set aside or redesignate small areas for human and environmental research, and other valuable dealings.

C. Says shut it all down right now, immediately no questions asked and let's all go hug a tree.

D. Says let's do a little of both, minimally shut down the most important areas (places where they may find endagered species etc.) and monitor the use of all else.

There is obviously a LOT more to the situation than this. One of their biggest problems seems to be the noxious weeds / grass issue and the shooters who don't pick up after themselves. Especially shooters who like to take out almost empty but not quite containers of antifreeze, household cleansers, paint and other dangerous chemicals that mess up the area.

A. and B. seem like fairly good choices for our purposes. I think I might catch their upcoming field trip on the 15th and see what else they have to say.
Here's the comment information:
You can view it at: http://www.id.blm.gov/planning/srbp/draft/howto.htm

Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area
Draft Resource Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement
The comment period for this document is from June 2, 2006 through August 31, 2006.

How to Comment

Written comments should be sent to the Snake River Birds of Prey NCA, c/o Content Analysis Group, PO Box 2000, Bountiful, UT 84011-2000, or may be submitted during one of the public meetings, which will be conducted during the comment period in communities surrounding the NCA. The specific dates and times for these meetings will be announced in local newspapers, in a newsletter and on the BLM planning website at www.id.blm.gov. E-mail comments may be sent to: [email protected] or faxed to 801-397-2601. Contact Mary Jones (208-384-3305) at the Boise District if you have questions. (Please note that the printed and electronic versions show incorrect dates, the comment period officially starts on June 2, not May 19 and closes on August 31, not August 17, 2006.

Comments, including names and street addresses of respondents, will be available for public review at the above address during regular business hours 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays, and may be published as part of the EIS. Individual respondents may request confidentiality. If you wish to withhold your name or street address from public review or from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act, you must state this prominently at the beginning of your written comment. Such requests will be honored to the extent allowed by law. All submissions from organizations or businesses, and from individuals identifying themselves as representatives or officials of organizations or businesses, will be made available for public inspection in their entirety. Please be specific when providing comments by referencing chapter, section and page numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts