Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 10 Posts

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to cut and section a hood???? I am starting the body work right after I strip the blazer this weekend. I am not trying to get the body perfect but I wanted the narrowing to look the best I could do. I was just wondering what tools are best for getting the straightest cuts for seeming the body back together. I have a plasma cutter, die grinder, sawzall, and could buy a air nibbler if needed.

Calling Kert, Matt or anyone else that has done this.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
The nibbler worked good for me as long as there wasnt a body seam or something. The sawsall was rough and a cutting wheel worked the best.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I have always had good luck with a jig-saw with a metal blade. The table can be taped so it does'nt scratch the paint, and you can always mock up some sort of straight edge for perfection.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think I'd have to use the plas. I have had good luck with the 4.5" grinder and thin wheel as well. The thin wheel I use is a great big 8" or something like that. Cuts real fast and hard on grinders (fingers).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I second the jigsaw with an occasional sawzall in the wierd spots. Nothing else gets as nice of radius cuts in the corners. I have a dewalt that actually has a plastic cover that snaps on to help reduce scratches. I actually bought that thing specifically to cut fenders. I've used it on wood once or twice too but it gets confused. :rotfl:

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
The plasma cutter can make the perfectly straight cuts if you use a fence to guide it just take some 1/4" solid rod bend it to the desired shape put some spacers on it and voila a perfect cut every time. The sheet metal nibbler is harder to get straight cuts with but a sheet metal shear works great. Just my two cents :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
198 Posts
wouldn't we all love to have the luxury of a plasma cutter. :finger: Fuel tanks/lines and electric lines pose a problem cutting it out on the vehicle though. Last time I saw they still trow sparks.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wildgoose said:
wouldn't we all love to have the luxury of a plasma cutter. :finger: Fuel tanks/lines and electric lines pose a problem cutting it out on the vehicle though. Last time I saw they still trow sparks.
Well this is on a vehicle that is going to be stripped first then cut up. So I am not concerned about sparks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well alrighty then. :rotfl:

1 - 9 of 10 Posts