Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this saturday i was heading to idaho falls about 58 MPH when all a sudden i had now Stearing as i hit the breaks and my blazer goes to the left side up on two wheels and slams my head and my GF head into the windows and comes slamming down (thank God it dident Roll). . . i get out to see that the NUT on the Stearing Bar came off. . .

MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM....

i had a lock nut on there last time and this time i have a lock washer....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
cotter pin

·
Registered
306 Posts
Reply Deleted. Irrelavant comments made before clarification photo was posted.

Gonna try and stay out of these types of threads for a while :thumb:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Glad to hear you all are ok.

Like it was suggested, there should be a cotter pin that goes through it and that keeps the nut in place. I would get one and take the lock washer back off.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is where it keeps coming off how do i stick a pin in there do i drill it?

and also the stearing box is leaking real bad???

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
As far as your nut problem get some 80fp loc tight that should stop it from coming loose again. then for the box where is it leaking from?? It is easy to reseal the input or output shaft. If you don't know exactly what you are doing just give me a call and bring in your gear and I can do the dirty work. (it's what I do)

Jeremy Hupe
Kenwood Service
503 12th Ave so Nampa
466-0812

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
str8six4me said:
this is where it keeps coming off how do i stick a pin in there do i drill it?

and also the stearing box is leaking real bad???
Who the Fawk did that setup? You need a longer bolt that is drilled for a cotter key. Lock tite may hold it but a cotter pin will make sure it doesn't fall off and maybe kill you next time. Steering needs to be better thought out than that.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Ahh I see.

Paul has a point. I think the lockwasher and some thread lock should do the trick. The problem is that is a connection in motion. Just the stresses of steering are going to work things loose.

You could get away with it on a trail rig but not a street rig.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah it scared the shit out of me and not to mention my gf is Pissed she wont ride in it again. i got a ticketed also for unsafe road equipment, recless driveing, disturbing the peace, and causing a road hazord Who new so many sitations for one F***EN Blazer... this should cost me a shit load of money. . .

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Travis... get the bolt with the castle nut and cotter pin, and you REALLY need to get those new studs and cone washers... you can't use this for a daily driver until you get some of those parts you need that I've been telling you..I'm glad this was just a scare, and nothing worse, but next time you might not be so lucky. :scared: :scared:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
your the one who helped me get the bolt for the stearing. . . the only thing you said i needed to Tighten the stearing was the cone washers. . .

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
two things -
cant stand heims on steering unless it is trail only - falls into the category with full hydro
I dont like the looks of grade 8 on there either - its just too brittle - this may start a debate, but I have absolutely found the differences where grade 8 is not better for my rig. (motor mounts, beadlock bolts)

Blazer steering is scary - I broke a horseshoe once on my blazer at about 50 like you - i pushed in the ebrake, cause i felt there was no steering and drove off into the gully next to the highway - bout the same luck as you. I am still here. Glad to hear you are okay.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Owyhee Rock Man said:
.... but if the "Rod Ends" are so damned bad then why are there so many race teams using them off road and on the track? Hell the formula 1 cars use them for steering and suspension. But they ain't using no industrial grade shit either!
they are replaced every race....
why does every oem vehicle come with tre's???
duration - that is all

just some food for thought - I agree that heim joints are good products, but the longevity of service is absolutely not worth the price TO ME.

·
Registered
252 Posts
gripguru said:
two things -
cant stand heims on steering unless it is trail only.
Well said --- Heims are for racing, trail, and other limited uses --- worst part of a heim joint is there is no way to greese it --- I would pull the heims off of that steering and put in regular drag link ends that have a zerks and a tapper fitting ---- Glad your OK but if you want to live to see another day get rid of that stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all i know is i have paid a lot of money. $6500 might not be a lot to some people, but its a lot to me, and that doesent include the tires and rims. so now i have a blazer that my gf wont ride in, and wont let her kids ride in...

so basicly i have a way ass expensive LAWN ORDIMENT~~~

enough of my soap box just scared the shit out of me was looking for some ways to fix it....

thanks for all the replys

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stock 305 pulled, 383 stroker put in, used edel brock 1405 with offroad kit electric choke, new headers, axels, lift, differnt transfer case.

we used his old 400 heads i still need to get new ones

AJ did i forget any thing...

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Let me get this strait.

- 383 engine, rebuilt bottom end, used heads, carb, new headers and some other stuff.

- 3/4 ton axles

- Lift kit. I'm guessing some parts are used looking at that front spring in the pic. Shackle reverse in the back.

- Steering? You have a crossover setup. Was all that included?

- Another transfer case.

- Labor to build engine and do work.

$6,500

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pretty close... got a new ignition also was 120.00 the springs on the front were from the back, the stearing box was extra 65.00, the stearing bar was in the price of the axels but it did not have the right cone washers so i still have to get them 125.00 dollars more, the 6500.00 also includes wires, plugs, hoses, belts and the bench seat 110.00 + nuts bolts, the mounts in the back where 100.00 etc...

i have a total itemized list it is scary as hell...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts