Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a SAS crossmember I built for a 88-98 chevy. This is designed to work with 73-87 chevy springs, gains about 3" of lift in the brackets alone. To use front reciever, 3" body lift is required with stock front bumper. This can be made in may different configurations. This can be installed with the IFS in place for front reciever and D-ring mounts. Ill post some pics of the rear shackle hangers when they are completed as well.

I can build more if there is interest, but mainly showing other options for those wanting to do SAS swaps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks beefy and stout. i like it..anything for a SAS is awesome in my opinion..they rock!

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rear mounts I built from scratch as well. I can build shackles for the rear as well, but depending on how hard you wheel some stock shackles from rear ford springs work well.

Price depends on work involved and amount of lift.
Options include 2" reciever and dual D-ring mounts.
These can be built for different springs as well.

A 3" body lift is required if you are running a stock front bumper and want the options.

Exhaust can affect how much lift needs to be built in, due to clearance on rear shackle hangers.

A note, front bumper will need to be trimmed, this moves the axle forward about 2"-3" for tire clearance on firewall.

Material alone runs about $200 labor is to be determined.

Call me and we can discuss it further.

Steve
890-5454

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm kind of just testing the waters right now.. I really like your design with the Drings. I won't have any use for the front receiver.

I already have a 3" BL and this truck doesn't go off road much. Just the occasional dirt road to get to a camp site. When i buy a new truck in a few years that will change but for now this is my DD.

Seems to me the front crossmember pictured above is the biggest part of the conversion I've seen guys use rear axle front shackle mounts for the new front axle rear mounts on the conversion which works but doesn't look real pretty. I'd like to see pics of yours. What axle are you using and what is the spring perch width?

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the crossmember is designed for a 32" spring width, that includes all chevy axles and the 78-79 ford f-250 dana 44 and f-350 dana 60. I dont like building it for other axles, reason is the wider spring width causes bad tire rub on the leafs.

I also should note that I recommend using 6" front springs with the 3" hangers. This will sit you on a total of 9" of lift plus the 3" body lift. Without major fender trimming this only allows the use of 38's due to increased wheel travel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts