Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At September's meeting, we voted that we would perform another clean up event sometime in April again. We all chose to clean up the sand pit area off of Grand View highway. That place is trashed much more than any place I know of. Earlier this year I spoke with the BLM reps about it, and found out that it is a Birds of Prey area, but the land managers have always allowed that are to be open to OHV traffic (or should I say they have never closed it to OHV traffic). Shooters, ATV's and off roaders have used this area for recreation for a number of years.

In the Mtn. Home News this week I read an article on the front page concerning that area. It stated that a new BLM RMP was being generated to prohibit that area motorized vehicles. But it also said that BLM is willing to work with us to create a plan that suits everyone involved. Here is your chance to help and be heard.

There will be a meeting Tuesday, Oct 18, 7:00 pm, at the downstairs courtroom at the Elmore County Courthouse.

Let's go there, be heard, and tell them about our plans to clean up the area! Maybe we can keep that area open!

Chris

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
!

:thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
i will try and be there work permitting. I saw the same article and Rep. Nielson is for the use of OHV's in the area. :deal:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I am all for doing this. I wonder if a stop to the Motorcycle shops in town might be in order. At least placing a flyer at them to tell them about the clean up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ginericfj80 said:
I am all for doing this. I wonder if a stop to the Motorcycle shops in town might be in order. At least placing a flyer at them to tell them about the clean up.

I have called:
Desert Mountain Cycle, Trujillo Motor Sports, and Terry Truck & RV regarding the meeting tonight. Just an FYI

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lehi, Alicia, and Myself attended this meeting. Thanks a bunch for the support you two!! :thumb:

Well, it looks like that area is going to close without some public support! Three BLM reps were present along with State Representative Pete Neilsen. Basically, a meeting was held back in June looking for public input on the new RMP being written. At that time, no one brought it to the BLM's attention that a 300 acre plot in the outskirts of the Birds of Prey area north of highway 67 was being used by recreationalists. This area has a historic use of over 50 years by OHV's and shooters. Since this area was not addressed and worked into the plan at an earlier time, it is scheduled for closure.

BLM stated that the only way for it to remain open now is for someone to lease the land from them. BLM has stated that the area is not subject to rehabilitation because of the extensive OHV use for the past 50 years. And they also know that by shutting down that site will cause the activities to sprout out somewhere else. The County, City, or a Non Profit organization may take the lease at little to no charge, but they have to have an action plan for the area, as well as make improvements to it. The other thing they want is to separate and contain the activities that take place out there. But, by seperating the OHV's from the shooters, the Lessee inherits the liability concerns too.

Now I know that the area in question is primarily used by ATV's and Motorcylces, but those of us in this area have all had our trucks out there at some point in time. And if we don't support this area from getting shut down, it's one more OHV area lost. The RMP is only in it's draft stage, to be released at the end of the calendar year for public review, and I am sure there will be more meetings to come in the future. I urge everyone to help, attend the meetings and public RMP review, to contact Representative Pete Nielsen to show him support (He is behind keeping this area open 100%), contact your BLM Birds of Prey land manager and let him know that we want to keep areas open, not shut them down!

I will try to keep posted up the info on meetings and reviews. I also have email addresses at home that I can post up to the BLM.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just because Wild West Off Road is not part of the Association. doesnt mean the Association shouldnt get involved with this fight --- but not a peep in the seven days since this thread was started from any of them...
I thought this sort of thing was exactly what the Association was all about. :roll:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
ontherocks said:
Just because Wild West Off Road is not part of the Association. doesnt mean the Association shouldnt get involved with this fight --- but not a peep in the seven days since this thread was started from any of them...
I thought this sort of thing was exactly what the Association was all about. :roll:
oh boy oh boy oh boy. I sure hope the association does something with this issue. if not, it's awn like donky kong :firedevi:

whistle

so any way, what can we do lumpy? I will come help with your litter pick up and help with fixing the place up. but who wants to be held responsible if a shooter acidently shoots a ATVer? What can we do about that part of the deal. And if they are still "drafting " this thing up why cant they draft in leaving the OHV area just that?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You know the BLM is screwing with us. I'm on their supposed mailing list to be part of the designation process. I drove to a couple meetings in Nampa and then I've seen nothing from them. This news really irritates me. Just so you are all aware these meetings suck. You walk in and because you are an OHV owner you are glared at by almost everyone. The Sierra C has their crap together. They had all kinds of representives there. They even had biologists and other scientists their representing them. I wouldn't be surprised if more trails get closed in the same fashion. This sucks! Sorry I couldn't make it. Hopefully next month Tuesdays start to slow down.

Eric V.

·
Registered
385 Posts
ontherocks said:
As has been stated in the past the members of the Association's Board & Council are not 100% internet savvy. Had this topic been posted on THEIR website they might have learned about it sooner, and been able to have some representation at this meeting. If the Association & its members have no idea there is an issue, how can they get involved & correct it? Remember the Association & its board & council members are all VOLUNTEERS. They all have jobs & families & other activities that they attend to as well as trying to keep abreast of land issues going on in their areas. As was stated in previous posts by Association members any & all questions, comments, concerns & complaints should be posted up on the Associations website. I suggest that if you see a problem somewhere you contact a board member of the Association. www.idahostate4x4association.com If we don't stand up together as one voice like the Sierra C. as is mentioned above, we will not be too successful in our endeavors.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think that there is enough Assc. members on this board everyday Ive even noticed Bill Taylor on here almost eveyday I find it very very hard to believe no one from the Assc. didnt know about this, besides this forum is where all the local Off roaders hang out, it should be where everyone gets their info.. From an outside view it seems that eveything related to the Assc. is a secret and Im not understanding why.......

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't post this up on the Associations website yet because I felt that the local club (WWOR) needed to address the issue and attend the meeting to see what exactly the deal was. Now that we know that the shut down is imminent, it is now time to alert the Association and other OHV organizations for a call to action. I want to reiterate that the BLM reps at the meeting wanted to help us, but they have to abide by the Regulations presented to them also.

I will try to get the word out more to other organizations, and if any of you have contacts to get the word out, please do!!

Yes the RMP is in it's draft stage, so if we make enough noise at meetings and by contacting officials, I do believe we can get something done.

Chris

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sabrina makes a good point in that if this had been posted on the association web site then they would have been more aware. I would assume that the association has the website so that those not in the leadership have a way of communicating with them. In the forum links it reads as follows.

General Discussion
This forum is is for discussing news, events, and Idaho land matters
emphasis added.

If we have a land issue we want the Association involved in, just let them know at the medium that they have set up. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I am disgusted with all the BS about the association. I have seen better organization communication and dissemination in a grade school. I am about to the point where I go back to just wheeling and say screw helping or even trying to do good things. GET OVER IT.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
lehi said:
I am disgusted with all the BS about the association. I have seen better organization communication and dissemination in a grade school.
I think alot of wheelers feel that way...most just don't speak up about it, they just ignore the assoc.
I know that i'm not impressed with what i've seen about it so far.

·
Registered
252 Posts
AJ Johnson said:
lehi said:
I am disgusted with all the BS about the association. I have seen better organization communication and dissemination in a grade school.
I think alot of wheelers feel that way...most just don't speak up about it, they just ignore the assoc.
I know that i'm not impressed with what i've seen about it so far.
THANK YOU --- the problem is that most dont speak up and the assoc. should take all this criticism to heart and build on it -- man I wish I had a bunch of guys telling me whats wrong in my buisness so I could improve things and work on the criticism. Everything is so seacritive and has to run off of their own forum --- Come on guys you need to be where the people are,, get on this forum and tell everyone whats going on you might even gain a few more members!!!! :scared:

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
enough

enough bitching already..............
who do we write chris? do they have an email address where they are taking comments..........I wrote my local reps(east idaho) about this but i don't know how much input they have....

enuf is enuf....lets quit fighting and get to writing (yeah it rhymes, i know)
you all are like my kids fighting over the leapad....if you share you will both learn!! Who gives a shit what the assoc. has or hasn't done..that's like people in new orleans waiting for the Gov't to give em stuff, get off your [email protected]@ and do something yourself........lets focus on what we CAN do!!!

all we need is a sierra club guy to see this thread and they will use it against us

that is all!! whistle

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Re: enough

cannoncrawler said:
enough bitching already..............
who do we write chris? do they have an email address where they are taking comments..........I wrote my local reps(east idaho) about this but i don't know how much input they have....

enuf is enuf....lets quit fighting and get to writing (yeah it rhymes, i know)
you all are like my kids fighting over the leapad....if you share you will both learn!! Who gives a shit what the assoc. has or hasn't done..that's like people in new orleans waiting for the Gov't to give em stuff, get off your [email protected]@ and do something yourself........lets focus on what we CAN do!!!

all we need is a sierra club guy to see this thread and they will use it against us

that is all!! whistle
I always like to read what you got to say Chad! :thumb: even though I don't always agree with ya, you do have good input! :deal:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts