Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exactly what is needed to run around out it the dunes with out getting seriously stuck?

I got the '71 Wagoneer up and running the other day, and after seriously hacking up the wheelwells for room, threw some 33's on it.

Do I need to lincoln-lock the rear as well, or will I be ok out in the dunes as it is? I'm afraid to lock the front as it's only a dana 27, and I'm afraid that I'd just break stuff as soon as I put it in 4wd.

Any ideas? I'm new to this 4x4 stuff.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Horsepower and fat tires.

My ZJ did pretty shitty with the underpowered 4.0 and the skinny TSLs. It was WOT... in 1st and 2nd gear low range and that's all she had :rotfl:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Air down your tires, that is the biggest thing on the sand, it will make a world of difference even on a stock rig with stock tires,

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah, though that didn't help me out too enough. I had around 7 psi in my tires.

·
Registered
487 Posts
x2 on horse power, fat tires and aired down. I took my expedition out to Lake Channel and it did allright with the 37" MTs and 4.56 gears. 5.13 or 5.38 gears would have made it preform better but those gears not availiable for expos diffs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts