Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

s10 questions and tranfer case question

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gripguru 
#1 ·
hey i was thinking about getting a 89 4x4 10 is was wondering som tuff about them like what type of axle swap i can do and how big of a lift i can do and if i could use toyota axles and make it solid axle with the shackle flip and i was also wondering if any one had a good torque converters for the 700 r4 and what type of transfer case a 77 full size would have thanks

#2 ·
Solid axle swaps: Need to use some axles that have a left offset front and a centered rear if you plan on using the Tcase thats in the S10, which should be a 231 (it is a great tcase, you can get 4:1 gears for it and a SYE)

700R4: Lots of good converters, but I like using a HD 4.3 converter for it, they use torrington bearings in them instead of bushings, and have a stall of around 2000-2200 rpm, but this all depends on what you are wanting to run for an engine.

Your full size will either have the 203 or the 205 in it, they are both cast iron cases....if the shifter from back to front is 4hi 2hi Neutral 4lo, then its a 205. If its hi loc hi neutral lo lo loc, then its a 203.

As far as you swapping axles and such, figure out what size engine you want, then a trans to handle it, then the tcase to handle it and the gearing, then that will lead you to how tough your axles need to be..

#6 ·
If you replace the output shaft of the 700, and use a jeep tcase here is what you need
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/adapters/1002.html
then you can put the jeep 4:1 kit in with a 700.

I think you might be able to use just the shaft from the kit, and put the jeep 231 gears in a 231c and be able to use the a 700 with a 231c....just a thought, will research it a little more when I get around to putting 4:1 in my XJ, but that will be a few months down the road, I know with enough mixing and matching of output shafts and gears, it could happen.

#8 ·
Lumpdog said:
If you replace the output shaft of the 700, and use a jeep tcase here is what you need
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/adapters/1002.html
then you can put the jeep 4:1 kit in with a 700.

I think you might be able to use just the shaft from the kit, and put the jeep 231 gears in a 231c and be able to use the a 700 with a 231c....just a thought, will research it a little more when I get around to putting 4:1 in my XJ, but that will be a few months down the road, I know with enough mixing and matching of output shafts and gears, it could happen.
That is a really great adapter. I was looking at the novak one, it has the same shaft, but this adapter is far superior.

so, new output shaft for the tcase, adapter, and the 4to1s in a jeep case is not too bad either.

#10 ·
Anything will fit it you make it. Since it sounds like you want something relatively 'bolt-in', and won't be cutting down fullsize axles to better fit in the wheelwells, invest in some fender flares from Bushwacker or something.... Yes, it's admirable that you wanna go solid axle - cool. Depending on what you want to do, and how much money you want to spend, will determine what you can get.... D44.... D60.... Mog 404's :thumb: .... Rockwells.... You get the idea.

So, since anything will fit is you make it, what do you WANT under your S-10??

#12 ·
Check out this old thread on BTF. This S-10 is still 'under construction', I'd say, but it's a good visual for ya. Dana 60's front and rear. He says he's welded in the front, and TracLock'd in the rear, but that makes no sense (especailly for a DD). Anyway, this is fullsize axles on an S-10. If you want to keep your t-case right now, get a Ford front axle. If you want to swap over to a pass. drop t-case, get a Chevy front axle.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354

#13 ·
yeah, if you get a ford axle you can have a rr axle. The nuckles out on a chevy axle are considered to be stronger, but the rr front axle is usually better than a standard rotation front axle. anyway's. It would be easier to put a ford axle in as ten than a chevy axle.

#14 ·
the ford axles are indeed driver side drop. I was able to find a RCD44 for my jeep that had provisions for leaf springs- it was from a 78 F250.

I laugh at all the random names for the RCD44, like reverse rotation, hi pinion, and such, but they mean that the pinion comes out high from the differential and this helps ground clearance for driveshaft. The pinion is also high on the ring gear, which makes the gear set stronger in a front application.

Jeep makes a RC30 that would be plenty strong for tires up to 35" - you could push it further, but I would surely not - and it would be a waste to transplant this axle to your rig if your plans entail tires any larger
Ford has a RC44 that was available for YEARS in many configurations - you can find it all the way back to '71 with chunks for the radius arms that the f150's and broncos used ---- up to 79 with leafsprings found in ext cabs and f250's this axle seems to be holding up and I would rate it to 38" tires and higher with CroMo axles and ctms
The only way to go in hindsight is to track down a ford RC60, which is the golden ticket in my opinion. You can find that in many years as well but exclusively in f350's I have found them in 78-79 and also 87-92.5 f350's in a kingpin style and newer (93+) in a ball joint style. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.