Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I began to put in a new set of 4340 chromo shafts and a lockright in my dana 30. When I began to take off the ring gear I noticed a broken tooth and a bunch of cracked ones.:lame: Didn't think much of it thought it was just wear and tear, so I ordered a new ring and pinion. Got the new gear set and brought everything it to my mech, axle and all.(cause R&P set up is not my cup of tea). Well the carrier had issues and he couldn't get a good pat. So I got a new carrier and same prob.:darn:
The pinion is riding on the edge of the teeth causing it to leave just a thin line instead of a half oval or oval on the ring gear like it should be. Has anyone ever heard of this or had it happen to them. It seems as if the carrier is sitting in the housing at a slight angle. I find it hard to belive that can tweak the case that much to cause the R&P to get out of wack, but stranger things have happened. I got ahold of a new housing and were going to try that next. My mech. is a good mech alot of people on this site use him so it's not that.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I just did a Dana 44 that the carrier was way messed up on. Replaced that and was fine but called a freind of mine that has been doing gears for a long time and in the conversation he said that he has had a couple of housing that were tweaked enough to not be able to get a good pattern. So you are probalby thinking correctly, housing is out of whack

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me. I'm on my 3rd D30 housing under the ZJ :darn:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chris, I scored a 30 housing from Bill Taylor today. I hope this solves the prob.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I believe it.

I was helping put gears in a Rubicon D44 a few years back and we actually snapped the pinion in 2 trying to get the crush sleeve to crush :shocked:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts