Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much activity here in Harvest land!! I've got a line on two Early Scouts as listed in For Sale. I'm tempted by them as a project but don't know much about IH-Scouts and how they would do as a base for rock project?
How do they fair built up? I don't want to end up replacing every thing except the firewall just to make them worthy... If that's the case I'd start with a toy or zuk.
So except for being cheep and cool looking old timers how do they fair?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Having a 35 year old rig, I suspect you will be replacing everythng. I have. It sucks. I would go with something newer. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Ask Richocet!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have owned and built a number of Scouts. I have also seen many people build them up. They can be awesome wheelers. Depends on what you want to do with it.

But it will cost your left nut and it will require a ton of work. Are you going to rock crawl with it? If so, you will probably hate the monumental amount of sheet metal that will get crushed every time out. And cutting Scout sheet metal doesn't very often leave a clean look. Some can make it work, but most end up looking like complete hacks. As far as the drivetrain goes, they are as tough as they come.

They are very heavy beasts, but very strong.

You may want to consider something newer. A YJ, ZUK, or a TOY. Can't lose with these solid base rigs.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
i say rock out the scout....everyone is convinced that they are hard to work on and even harder to find parts for. I don't know if it's me just being extra observant but i seem to be able to find all the international stuff i want to...maybe it's luck...personally everyone else is building the heck out of jeeps....why not be different and build something else that isn't around anymore, or do something different to a scout that someone hasn't seen before....scouts have been widely used for many years, but personally i like the looks of the older scouts built up

·
Registered
9 Posts
build a scout they are very stout to begin with add a few good parts and some safty devices blamo !!! rock crawler. plus everyone and there dog are building jeeps toyota zuki's come on and join the club and build a scout !!! just my thoughts :beer:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Grab the scouts. They work we'll in stock trim, and come stock with good parts. The 345 cu motors pull like a diesel. add a 4-1 in the dana 300 and your good to go. You can put as much time and money into it as you want [just like any other rig]. you get out what you put in, but they all ready come with a lot of tough parts. I think they are a good bet for a return on your grins per dollar equation

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Grab the scouts. They work we'll in stock trim, and come stock with good parts. The 345 cu motors pull like a diesel. add a 4-1 in the dana 300 and your good to go. You can put as much time and money into it as you want [just like any other rig]. you get out what you put in, but they all ready come with a lot of tough parts. I think they are a good bet for a return on your grins per dollar equation

speaking of grins per dollar...how is yours working out? are we going to see it on the turkey run? :drive:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Probably going to bring the cj and a 4 wheeler..nothing out there to challange the scout:rotfl::rotfl::drive:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Bill, get them! I might split the cost of one with you or something. Just for some parts, as I just bought one for my son. And need a few things to get it on the road.:drive:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Humm.. Opinions are like.. (what is it they say???) And so many choices... Seriously I do appreciate the input.
I just want a cheap rig to bust up on the rocks... I'm a Jeep guy so jumping loyalty could be tough<grin> Hate to see these rigs go to the crusher (as has another 20 acres of 'junk' this guys got rid of).
If I could find a cheep (under $1K) CJ I could build I'd jump on it. Something I could trade parts/tech with my current rig would great.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
paging CHESTONSCOUT!!!

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Go for it Bill Scouts are cool and Scotts wrong about replacing everything you keep at least the radiator cap:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Go for it Bill Scouts are cool and Scotts wrong about replacing everything you keep at least the radiator cap:rotfl::rotfl:

Pretty sure it's been upgraded too! lol Whole radiator in fact. Bill you got the feedback you wanted, but again, putting money into the basics (ie. power steering, power brakes, etc.) instead of mods stinks. Just my opinion. I have grown to envy things like heat, a/c and radios. I could do all that, just more money not spent on cool stuff.

Good luck on your decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts