Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am in need of good shop to repair my transfer case. I am in the Idaho Falls area and I don't know much about the shops around here. I thought maybe you guys could chime in thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a BW 1356. One day I was driving down the road and a really loud bang occured. And it was just like it was in neutral so I Towed it home and it sat for awhile. Then I got in it to pull it in the shop and I thought I would just try and see what would happen if I put it in gear. And to my huge surpise it drove, but it is stuck in low range. You can shift the transfer case but low range is all you get. I drove it around the driveway a couple of times and it will come out of low range and sit in neutral, but if you mess with it you can get it to go again. I did get it pulled out I just didn't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Kudos for Chris, but if getting it back and forth doesn't work, try Anthonys on woodruff.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a NP 208 that should work that is out of a Ford PU. It is fixed yoke.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Similar symptoms when mine did that on a trip through Vegas. The shift fork on the 1356 is aluminum, with a teflon pad on the ends where it rides. The pads wear out at about 120-130k. Then the shifter ends fall off when they rub soon after. This almost always causes the simple oil pump to spin and destroys it. Gasket, shift fork, and oil pump kit is around $165-185 from Ford.
If you get a used tcase, look hard at the mileage if it is known.

TCHNSD just listed a 1356 in Nampa for $200, on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts