Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

How long do you think it will take to get a VIN for the buggy?

• By Lehi's next wheeling trip - It will be a cakewalk!

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Longer than Lehi's transmission lives -6 months- Bureaucratic pool of pain.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Lehi' Burb will blow up first -sometime in 2007- What was I trying to do again?

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Never - The state of Idaho uses the same rulebook as California.

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Lehi started the poll thing...

I Plan on getting a Specially Construction Vehicle title for my buggy. I have made some preliminary phone calls and have a meeting set up with the state inspector.

Do you think it can be done? Do you think that the state of Idaho will take my money to tag it and leave it up to me if I want to be ticketed for illegal vehicle?

Do you think that the state of Idaho will say that I have to make it legal before issueing a VIN?

I am betting the first one.

What do you think? Do you know anybody that has titled a Specially Constructed Vehicle? Do you know anybody that has tried and failed?

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
You will need to make it legal before registering it.

Here is an idea!

Go find a 1934ish car, and take the Vin off of it. Put it on your rig and title it as a 34 modified roadster.

For some damn reason it's ok for the roadster guys to run around town without fenders, but my jeep can't. :darn:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some damn reason it's ok for the roadster guys to run around town without fenders, but my jeep can't. :darn:
This summer I saw at least 3 T-buckets cruising around all tires and driver exposed. No rollbar of any kind. They did have turn signals, windshield and brake lights though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I voted for never but that is just a guess.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is an exception for those old roadsters etc. Also qualifications as to when and where you can and cannot run them.

I think you will be able to get it titled Tony, as long as you have all the reciepts. Let us all know the progress you make!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
You will get a title and they will probably even register it for you. Mine still has the vin#'s on the frame so the lady at the MVD here told me if I want to play with the cops that was up to me. Either way Beutiful rig Triple T. Can't wait to see it in the sand again!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just to let you know about playing with the cops....

I have had my rig like it is on the road for about 9 months?

and have collected 8 tickets @ $54 each..... :deal:

·
Registered
393 Posts
coincidently I tried to register and title mine today. There comment was "absolutely" no way. We spent two hrs, went through all there books and laws, and played the specialty construction card, the hot rod card, and even the "You make me license my toy 4wheeler, and its not remotely legal" card. Didn't happen. They didn't even want sales tax money, just told me it looked like a fun toy and to have a nice day [It was raining]

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
well yours is ugly. I bet they just didnt want it white trashing up the streets of ada county :rotfl:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well you gotta point there. Maybe I should have been sitting in it when they took the pics, just to perrty it up sum

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just to let you know about playing with the cops....
I have had my rig like it is on the road for about 9 months?
and have collected 8 tickets @ $54 each..... :deal:
Mine is the same type/look as yours with the competition cut corners and I have driven mine for about 5 years all over with no hassles - so far. I have had cops follow me, pass me, and sitting on the side of the road watching traffic just looking for law breakers, but they don't hassle me. They just wave or give thumbs up. Kind of cool, but I always pucker up when I see them following me and I start looking around for my registration and insurance papers. I hate that... I don't know why they don't pull me over. Maybe it's because it looks like so many laws are broken they don't want to spend all day writing me tickets.:shame:

I did get pulled over in Rexburg in about 2 minutes. He walked up to my side of the vehicle and said "Um yea, we have a lot of problems here." I almost busted up laughing, but was able to hold it together and said that I was here supporting the State Association Rally and that there were about 60 other rigs in town too. Hoping he would show some mercy. He let me go. I personally think it was my hot girlfriend in the passenger seat that made him drop his guard. But then again, maybe my theory holds some truth. Maybe he didn't want to take all day writing tickets.

So the moral of this hijacking is to violate so many laws that they don't want to mess with you.:smokin:

Tony, that has to be the coolest looking buggy I have ever seen. But, I think you are screwed. Good luck though. Maybe you can pass it of as a modified Model A with the body panels removed.:cool:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Doesn't that thing still have a VIN plate on it Chuck?
Yes. original VIN, clear colorado tittle, funtional turn,brake,headlights horn and wipers and meets the length, width and weight requirements. They still listed it as a competition only vehicle and refused to tittle or register it. Said they will send me a letter conferming there findings and said I am welcome to try to change the designation in court. Go figure

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
That is strange. I've never had a problem getting a title in Idaho. All they do is have the sheriff inspect the VIN and then they issue the title. Titles are different than registration. Getting a vehicle registered is a lot tougher as that is where you have to follow all the rules. Maybe we are just lucky in Elmore county? Because even on registration as long as I've been willing to pay the tax they are fine with it.

Now the homebuilt deal might be a lot tougher. I've never messed with that.

·
Registered
530 Posts
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN Tony,hate to stray from your poll,1st pics i have seen of it complete,but for shits sake,the buggy is fawkn SICK!!!!! :drive:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Take it to caldwell Chuck they don't give a damn. Plated mine there with no problems.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts