Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get a new rear end for my TJ for awhile. I was given a Chrysler 9.25 that I would like to use, but I want an ARB and there isn't one. I ended up with a D70 out of a Ford but was told it wouldn't work because of the pinion being lower than normal. SO, I am giving up hope that I can find one and am now looking for someone to Build me one!

I feel capable in doing the install and would also be able to weld on all the perches myself, but I do not have the know how or experience to find the axle, get gears and lockers installed, make sure it is the right width or will work, or get the right bolt pattern since I want to stay with 5x4.5.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I am not even sure what I want really. D44 or 60, Ford 9", prefer not an 8.8. Like I say, I am now moving on to paying someone or going someplace.

I have also kicked around the idea of buying one out of 4x4hardware. D44 with my gears and ARB for $2400, but I have to do brakes.

Thanks!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
401 Posts
Why would you not prefer an 8.8? Just wondering.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to stay away from the C-Clip. I know the Chrysler has the same thing but...... I don't know. If the price is right, I would do it. Other than that, maybe I am just don't know enough about them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My $.02: If you are staying around 35" tires with agressive throttle or 38" with light throttle, then a D44, 8.8", or 9" is strong enough.

38" and agressive throttle requires D60.

I was a fan of the 9" for many years until I bent a housing, twisted both aftermarket 31 spline shafts, dented in the rear "cover" a couple times (requiring disassembly to hammer out), and ripped an ant-wrap bar off the housing. The 3rd member is super strong. I was able to do the above damage with the so called "weak" high pinion 3rd member from 8.8". But, the housing is only 1/8" thick and the tubes at best 0.25" wall. 9" belongs in a muscle car where its light weight and 3rd member are best utilized - not in a hardcore 4x4.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to run 37's with 4.56 gears. I am pretty light on the throttle so maybe I should look into the 9" or something like that. Is it just that I don't know enough about the whole process, but it seems that looking into parts to build a D44 vs a D60, parts seem to only be $100-200 more for the D60. So it seems like for just a little more $$ I could build a 60 and be done. Like I say, this is why I am turning it over to the experts to build.

·
Registered
545 Posts
D60 or 14 bolt. You'll have to have either one shortened to keep the same width. I know Shane does that type of work, but I don't know how much he is doing while Zach is sick.

The cool thing about the 14bolt is a detroit just drops in like a lock-right. No messing with R&P gears and whatnot (I think).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Joe, a full detroit replaces the carrier, so yes you would need to mess with the R&P.

A semi float D60 35 spline is the hot ticket. Any bolt pattern you want, disk brakes, ARB, and 35spline 1541 shafts and you wont have to worry about it breaking!

Just for reference, this is basically the same axle that I ran in my buggy for the last 3 years. I have built several just like it, and they are running around right now, and Im getting ready to stick another one in an EB that we are building.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Joe, a full detroit replaces the carrier on a D60, but not on the 14B, but yes, either way you will need to mess with R&P.
Fixed it for ya...:beer:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
For a rear, why would you want such a low pinion as a 9"? Jeeps already have a horrible dline angle!

We sell the Diamond housings out of the shop, and we use them. You can run a HP 9" center in it, but the gears only go to a 4.88 and the HP is a weaker setup in the rear application.

D70? Why would you want that? The only real reason to get a d70 is to be able to run 35spline full float shafts. If you run semi float, you get a lighter rear end that is just as tough that doesnt have to be full with. The same goes for a 14b in a jeep, no need for it.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
For a rear, why would you want such a low pinion as a 9"? Jeeps already have a horrible dline angle!

We sell the Diamond housings out of the shop, and we use them. You can run a HP 9" center in it, but the gears only go to a 4.88 and the HP is a weaker setup in the rear application.

D70? Why would you want that? The only real reason to get a d70 is to be able to run 35spline full float shafts. If you run semi float, you get a lighter rear end that is just as tough that doesnt have to be full with. The same goes for a 14b in a jeep, no need for it.
Low pinion for strength. I would take the low pinion over the high in a rear just for the strength. Plus you can get any ratio you want. If you keep the vehicle low, the dline angle should never be in issue. We used to run a Mittler Bros. 9" center section, with 1/2" cromo tubes and a nodular center section with 40 spline shafts, the big pinion support and a billet yolk, we beat the tar out of that axle and never, ever had any issues with it. I also like the fact that it is not a cast center section, easy to weld to and never worry about cracking. I believe it has better ground clearence as well. I really don't remember though.

I didn't say to use the D70, I was wondering why someone would tell him it wouldn't work. I wouldn't choose it, just wondering why it wouldn't work. I agree the D60 semi float is a killer option and probably the cheaper way to go. I was just throwing other ideas at him. And yes, I agree there is no need for a for a 14B or a D70 in a jeep.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the D60 option you said. I will have to find some time to stop by and talk and see what I can do about getting the ball running. I just picked up my 37's today and now I need the axle to complete (pretty much, is it ever complete) the Jeep. Thanks for all the input. Like I say, I lack experience and knew there was plenty of it here and I could get sum edumicatun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts