Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a third row seat in our 97 Explorer. It is bolted down forward facing but could easily be turned around to rear facing. Seatbelts are integrated into the seat so that wouldn't be a problem. My question is if there are any laws against a rear facing seat in a mid size SUV? Also, if I put a car seat that is supposed to be rear-facing is that relative to the seat or the vehicle. Ie, should it be facing the front of the vehicle because the seat is reversed or should it still be rear-facing on the seat? Confused?:darn:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
legal or not, i can't imagine it being the safest. weren't the old station wagons with rear facing seats known for launching the "rear seaters" out the back windows? maybe just an urban legend.

just my two pennies.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Mercedes still does a rear facing rear seat in their wagons. If it was a safety issue they probably wouldn't do it. However, I'm not recommending it. Anytime you dink with safety equipment you have a risk of changing the principles used to design it. I would not want my little person facing backwards in a Ford Explorer. I've seen too many of them in wrecks. Walk through a junkyard before you make your decision.

·
Registered
346 Posts
legal or not, i can't imagine it being the safest. weren't the old station wagons with rear facing seats known for launching the "rear seaters" out the back windows? maybe just an urban legend.

just my two pennies.:thumb:
I'm thinking seat belts would help prevent that from happening. 99% of the time some one is launched thru a window, not using seatbelts is the reason.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
your right, anything can be done safely if the right precautions are taken. just wouldnt want to test a new engineering thing when your test dummies are the little ones. just putting that out there.

go ahead and try it out, just be careful.:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts