Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks great! What did you make the pivot out of? I am looking at doing a similar project down the road, and your giving me lots of ideas! Nice work!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I used a trailer spindle and a machined part from a place in Indianapolis (can't remember the name). Bearings etc. I just found a complete item that is basically identical here. And, to keep it local here.It cost me just about the same so I would recommend using this kit.

·
Registered
781 Posts
That looks good:thumb: , one suggestion though, if i may, I would run some diagonal stringers down to the end of the horizontal piece to give the tire more support and cut down on the wiggling, right now all the force is transfered to the center of the horizontal piece letting it twist, just something like the picture to help sturdy it up.
We also sell a hinge like that complete right here at the shop, next time you or anyone else needs one give me a call.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea, I thought about doing some long struts but decided to go with the little corners fillits(sp?) instead. If it cracks I can always add the struts in but I wanted to try something a little different. I will let you know if it is a problem in the future and thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hopefully you catch the cracks before it decides to part company while you are driving down the road. The torsional stress point loading the center section will spring your main beam so you will have to tweek it a bunch when it does break. You could put some steps on the cross braces to be different...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts