Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Why I want to Shrink my Samurai, Insanity or Genius?

I have to ask... what are these going into?
I want to shrink my Samurai Rockcrawler buggy in width and length.
Not only will it make old trails challenging again but will allow me to go on ATV only trails with the rest of friends and family.
I do like the ATV trails for sight seeing, but hate how ATV's handle.
ATV's suffer from bump steer, you need to hang on with both hands most of the time. A 50 mile round trip ride with no seat back support just kills you.
The fricken thumb throttle sucks and so does the twist type. No power steering, no one handed steering because no steering wheel therefore no drinking a cola or eating something while driving.
My 4x4 Honda ATV is four wheel all the time and you fight it on turns.
You have to wear a helmet to protect you brain box and they get all sweaty, you cant hear crap, you cant scratch that itch and I just hate 'em. Rockcrawler has a cage and seatbelts.
An ATV going uphill or down on anything close to steep requires you to standup and lean forward or backwards. Same with side hills. I don't have to do this with the samurai.
So I guess after making all the modifications to the rock crawler and driving many miles on trails I may have become spoiled.

I have a bunch of money tied up in a rock crawler vehicle that is trail capable but not all trails allow a vehicle with this width.

I spoke with Sky of Sky manufacturing, he said they do shorten samurai hybrid housings for folks that use them in Golf Carts. They make a new bearing housing to fit inside the sidekick tubing and have an adjustable alignment jig to get it straight ($150) will even add the spring over mounts. ($20 additional)

Insanity or Genius? You decide.

·
Registered
496 Posts

PM Pepdaddy on this board. He builds 4x4 mini crawlers if that is what you are looking for.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

If I remember, a couple years ago there was some changes in the ATV sticker availability due to width and weight. You might check into that before you start cutting. You may not be able to get to the legal requirements unless you ditch all the stuff that you want to keep.

I want to say that now you are weight restricted to less than around 800 lbs and width restricted to 48", but you'll have to research it a little more to find out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

I have seen those a couple of times. They are super cool. One seater is a draw back for me, but if it's that or a quad these rock.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

And it depends where you are as to what the rules are. I was reading the FS regulations in Wyoming and even the 4 wheeler golf carts are forbidden on ATV trails. The regulations say that you must straddle the vehicle. I'd be a little concerned about doing all this work and then being shut out. I know they have been looking at national FS rules for ATVs. So who knows what the national rules will be like?

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts

Buy an LJ 80 or a hopestar they are already that small

·
Registered
89 Posts

Like Triple T pointed out we are developing new " mini " buggies. The side by side ( yamaha Rino ) market is huge now because everybody feels the same bout spending hours on a quad. The Forest Service has made new guide lines and even our "mini" doesn't look like they'll be legal, you'd probably be ok with most rangers but a hardass would nail you. Idaho is one place that really sucks, because there is so much land open to ATVs but restricted to normal 4x4s. To be 100 % legal I'd say go buy a Rino ( Yamaha not the RTV ) and cruz away. We should be in production this comming spring/ early summer with our "mini" but their not going to be cheap, the quad we use for the drive train cost 9k. Pep

·
Registered
379 Posts

hey don...I dont know what you want to accomplish...weight or width? give me a call 871-2220

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

hey don...I dont know what you want to accomplish...weight or width? give me a call 871-2220
Jim,
I've sent you some email's but you didnt answer them.
I took a shower beginning of last month so that can't be the reason.
And I hardly ever argue with the voices in my head, at least in public, so that can't be the reason.
Do I need to feed you more beers and maybe some BBQ dogs or burgers?

Don.

·
Registered
379 Posts

rodzillax3(nospam)@hotmail.com

:beer:

Jim,
I've sent you some email's but you didnt answer them.
I took a shower beginning of last month so that can't be the reason.
And I hardly ever argue with the voices in my head, at least in public, so that can't be the reason.
Do I need to feed you more beers and maybe some BBQ dogs or burgers?

Don.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

rodzillax3(nospam)@hotmail.com

:beer:
Jim are you having a problem with your phone?
Sounds like your not hearing the audio portion. Then you fricken hang up before I can tap out some morse code.
Left you a voice mail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts