Well, the Explorer serpentine setup uses an integrated HB/Pulley setup - which is set at 50oz. My 67 289, uses a 28oz HB. If I want to use the Explorer serpentine setup (which is the best out of all the serpentine conversions for the early bronco, due to the fact that it is extremely short and doesn't protrude very far at all) I have to have the 28oz. I have completed my serpentine setup using the Mustang conversion parts, but it does extend a good way's forward - which is requiring me to be creative with my radiator mounts for extra room.
I need to just be happy with the mustang setup and save the explorer setup for when I get the balls to tell my wife next winter I want to convert to EFI :idea: .
For the power brakes I ended up using a 99 Superduty hydrobooster. The actuating rod for the hydroboost is about 1/2 inch shorter than the master cylinder push rod is, which dropped the pedal just enough to annoy me. So here is what I did.
1 - the part on the Hydroboost actuating rod, where it connects to the brake pedal (little circle) I cut in half.
2 - I cut the same part off the push rod on the old master cylinder
3 - With a little grinding on the actuating rod the part from step #2 fit nicely at the end of the rod.
4 - Weld it up slowly to not heat up the rod and damage any seals in the hydro unit itself.
5 - all done
drill a few new mounting holes and then the hydro fits nice and snug. a 20$ Master cylinder with 1 1/16th bore from late 70's Ford with ppower brakes and I am good to go. I decided not to run the angle bracket because I didn't like the space being taken up. Hopefully it all feels good with that bore of MC, if not I will swap it out for 1 1/8th" MC. Let me know if you have any other questions. After spending ridiculous amounts of time on the power brake setup, I have many different thoughts on ways that work and don't work, but in the end it is all up to the end user to feel comfortable with their setup.
I just talked with Pat while I was asking about my engine he is working on. He said he couldn't really do it right without the crank and/or another 28oz HB to match it to. (Sorry, I didn't understand everything he was saying). He did say it would cost about as much to rebalance what you have as it would to just go buy a new one. However, it sounds like it's the pully issue that is forcing you to use what you have?
yes - the whole problem goes back to if I use the explorer serpentine, which has many benefits on the Early Bronco application. Using the Explorer setup you don't have to do any 'tweaking' with the spacing of the radiator and you can use a clutch fan. The downside is the fact that the HB and Crank Pulley are an integrated unit. I believe I have resigned myself to simply using the Mustang setup, which there is nothing wrong with and making my own radiator mounts. I will either put the explorer setup in storage for later, if I ever change anything up with a new motor and such - and then just use the 50oz balancer or I could be smart and sell it to make some good loot for other stuff.
I have also decided, that too much time NOT spent working on the bronco is very bad thing. When work sends me out of town, I have plenty of time to let my brain get in the way of just finishing the work. I start thinking that maybe there is a better way or maybe I would happier with different setup. And then I end up getting nothing done when I make it home.
Ya thats all of the problem I used to run into. I would sit around and over think everything so much that nothing would ever get done. I say if you have everything to make the mustang stuff work then throw it on and be done with it.
I'm hoping to have my doner motor here sometime this weekend that gives me one more thing to check off the list:thumb:
The bad thing is. Its a pretty BIG list. LOL