Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was just watching the TV and saw one of those commercials for some cute-ute, mall cruising, heated cupholder, no low range, half plastic, "4x4"s when I was slightly enraged. :angryfir:

It seems that showing an SUV tearing across what looks like a pristine high-mountain meadow, blazing its own trail with a bunch of "tough guy" outdoorsmen inside sells these things. Wait a second, I thought it was the Land Cruiser, not the land destroyer. If showing that kind of abuse is enought to make some person go out and buy the 65,000 piece of crap, surely it is enough to have them "testing it out" it that very weekend by mimicking such dastardly behaivor. I realize the vast majority will end up being used to haul soccer gear around, but for the small percentage that dare venture off road, they should have a better example to follow. Tread Lightly should nail these companies' asses to the wall, before they give 4x4's a bad name.

Just a tangent: My father and I have gone on many camping trips during which we had to traverse unmaintained logging roads, mud, ditches, rocks, etc. of the caliber that is shown in these commercials. Guess what we did it in... A MINIVAN! You don't need four wheel drive to negotiate gravel. Maybe commercials for these SUVs should show them flexing at Moab or handling a muddy hillside. Oh wait, they can't. At least not any better than some minivans.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
781 Posts
amen :thumb: I've seen similar comercials, maybe even that one, that have made me wonder how the car manufacturer can be so irresponsible to encourage such behavior, then televise it, then have it be ok with everyone, when if we are seen wheeling in an area with our modified rigs, and the tree huggers find one tire track going halfway off the road they call the usfs to come investigate, even when the area is open to cross country travel :banghead: This happened to SRO a couple of years ago, the ranger met us on the trail and told us that he got a compliant from some hikers that we were tearing up wet lands, the ranger told us that he took pictures of the area in question and informed us that we had done nothing wrong, ranted about the tree huggers for a minutte then thanked us for the two bags of garbage we picked along the trail(hikers obviously missed) and told us to have a good time. :thumb:
Were's a granola eater when you need one, they must not have TV :firedevi:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts