Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I've got my Ranger pretty trail worthy but I need a lift. I've been looking at lift kits for my 2001 Ranger and since I have torsion bars I have 2 choices: $1400 lift that keeps the bars and actually lowers them so they are the same height off the ground. Or, I can spend $2500 for a coil-over lift which sounds much better except it costs a lot more money. A friend suggested a solid axle swap. Now that isn't something I know about. Does anybody know of any kits or someplace here in MH or in Boise where I could get that done? More importantly, how much to do that? Less than the coil-over option? If it is cheaper than option 2 then I would think it was the way to go. Agree/Disagree????

I appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You can spend as much as you desire. Just remember, what you spend is usally what you will get out of it. I've done axle swaps on 2 of my rigs. I run the fort TTB design. I haven't gotten to a sas yet, still waiting on the right axle, but I've done the D35 swap and the 8.8 swap. YOu can spend up to $2500 or you can spend $300, it all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You could also go with the regular torsion bar lift and get these. I've never used them, but if I ever did a lift on a torsion bar truck I would definately look into them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
swiss said:
You can spend as much as you desire. Just remember, what you spend is usally what you will get out of it.
Man there couldnt be a truer statement -- that will be the new sig line!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JoshH said:
You could also go with the regular torsion bar lift and get these. I've never used them, but if I ever did a lift on a torsion bar truck I would definately look into them.
Thanks for the suggestion, those look like a nice option, but they don't make them for my truck. I tried some of the links but the site doesn't seem fully functional.

As for Swiss's comments, I figured as much. I just don't know where to begin. I am a decent mechanic, but I am definitely not a fabricator. I can't just start buying parts and do it myself. I would either need a bolt on kit or have a shop do it.
I was thinking about doing the SAS because my friend said I could get the same amount of lift cheaper than the coil-over kits I was looking at.
It all comes down to cost vs benefit.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
308 Posts
You could get the same ammount of lift for less if you did most of the work yourself with a sas. I haven't seen a bolt in kit for a sas on a ranger, and if there was one out there, I bet it would be just as much as a co suspension. Did you check out http://www.therangerstation.com Ther're a RBV based website with some info. Check out the tech library and see if you can find some insight there. There are also a lot of people doing sas lately on RBV so you may be able to get good tech on the forum. Seems to be the latest craze.
From what I have seen, most people do a D44 swap out of an early for and use the rad arms/coil system. There have been a few D30's, but even those swaps run a rad arm set up. 3 link and 4 link systems are very hard to find. I think that most people don't want to undertake the task, and just want to say they have the benefit of a sas over the ttb.
What I say is browse the forums, pirate, the ranger station, and any other rbv forum and get as much info as you can. See what you come up with and if the sas is still something that interest's you. I think anybody can undertake one, good mechanic skills, common knowledge, and a buddy who's a good fab. help. If nothing else, get an axle and do all the major prep work and have a shop do the final isntall with all the correct geometry.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have a D30 from an early bronco, if you go that route let me know.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
broncoman said:
I have a D30 from an early bronco, if you go that route let me know.
That would be a good axle to use there...

Make some extended radius arms, or use some SuperFlex joint and make your own arms.

A highpinion D30 from a Chickoree would work well too.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree with lumpdog. If you're getting serious enough to do a sas, save the ranger as a dd/weekend warrior and pick yourself up a trail rig. I made the same mistake and I'm kicking myself in the butt for putting so much money into my dd. I should have just bout an 80's 4 runner and played with that a a trail rig. YOu will spend 1000-3000 on a sas and thats a good chunk of change to put on a trail rig.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
YUP.....:drive:

a person can have a fun ole time in a $2000 dollar beater:drive: :drive: :drive:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. You all bring up some good points. Back around Christmas I did give serious thought to changing vehicles. I really do like my Ranger though. It's a tough little truck. I think that all I really need is a 3-4" lift so I can put some 33s under it. That's why I started this thread, to see what you all thought would be the way to go. After doing some research and seeing what you all had to say, well I'm not very comfortable with the SAS. I am thinking I will go with the Superlift lift that keeps my torsion bars. It's not ideal, but it's $1400 and I can use the money saved for tires and still have some left over. I am not planning on getting hardcore with my truck, I just want some more ground clearance. I do pretty well on the Little Valley and Lost Trail runs. I won't be attempting trails like 2HD. We'll see what the summer brings. :thumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Get the lift and a front locker, you will notice a BIG improvement in preformance, I'd recomend a selectable, ARB, E Locker, or something of the sort.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Ron_Egress said:
Thanks for the suggestions. You all bring up some good points. Back around Christmas I did give serious thought to changing vehicles. I really do like my Ranger though. It's a tough little truck. I think that all I really need is a 3-4" lift so I can put some 33s under it. That's why I started this thread, to see what you all thought would be the way to go. After doing some research and seeing what you all had to say, well I'm not very comfortable with the SAS. I am thinking I will go with the Superlift lift that keeps my torsion bars. It's not ideal, but it's $1400 and I can use the money saved for tires and still have some left over. I am not planning on getting hardcore with my truck, I just want some more ground clearance. I do pretty well on the Little Valley and Lost Trail runs. I won't be attempting trails like 2HD. We'll see what the summer brings. :thumb:
I could never throw any coin at an IFS, but I am into swaps and the hard stuff. Sourcing a donor solid axle would not be expensive. The jeep ones are virtually free, and if you found some fella that was upgrading to bigger stuff, you may even find one with gears and locker already in it. You would even have the same bolt pattern. Leaf springs for simplicity, links for the bigger bucks with coils or air shocks for the lush ride. I say be patient with the $$$$ and do lots of research. Maybe look into the local shops doing a custom suspension, and keep your research going on the bulletin boards for other ranger swaps. Without looking at the underside of your rig, I hate to state too much, but I think leafsprings would be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I agree on finding a cheap rig and wheeling that instead. I made that mistake with my ZJ. Bought a nice clean rig and turned it into a huge pile of turd with about $25,000 less in my wallet.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i agree with the new beater rig also. it is alot of fun thrashing a truck. however you dont want to find out how fun it is with the ranger. you'd be amazed what you can get for 1500 bucks. especially on an AFB. keep an eye on the lemon lot and your buddies that are PCSing. i picked up the ramcharger for 1500 and the motor and trans had already been freshened up. all it took was some tires and i was set. unfortunately you have to be patient.:beer:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Shoot, there was an '88 blazer that went for $800 at the auto auction here. Fuel injection and everything. The guy who bought it got a great deal.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
164 Posts
i just bought a 90 bronco xlt with a rod knock for 600:thumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
full size? v8? good buy either way

1 - 20 of 21 Posts