Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I got back in Saturday night. Sunday night I started tearing down the motor to replace the timing chain and possibly the head gasket. I am skipping the head gasket because I don't think it needs it. Some of you may remember that I thought I had a blown head gasket after we ran Lost Trail & Carnage, I don't think that is the case. The oil I drained out of it sat in my garage for 4 months and there isn't any water in it.

I have removed everything and I am ready to begin the installation of the new timing set. It needed it, the driver's side guide was in 3 pieces! If all goes well I will have it finished up and running by tomorrow. Once I know it's good I'll post up another thread to get some people together for a run this Sat.

Well, that's it. Just thought I would post up while taking a break.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
welcome back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
you should change the head gasket if you already have it torn down far enough to change the t-chain, you might regret it later!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
welcome back Ron, Hope to go wheeling with you before you ship out again

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Is there any oil in the antifreeze?

Keep in mind that your oil is under more pressure than the water. Often oil in the water, but no water in the oil.

I'd do a compression test at the very least. Cylinders should all be within 10% of each other.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's great to be back. I thought it was the head gasket because my radiator was real low and my oil seemed high after that run. I drained that oil and it sat in my garage. I checked it yesterday and there is no water in it. No oil in the coolant either. I decided to check my timing chain guides and found one broken so I went ahead with the replacement. I thought about doing the head anyway, but with only a month home and only 3 weekends, I don't want to do more than I have to. Plus I run the risk of frozen/broken exhaust bolts, head studs, etc. Once I get back for good I have to decide what to do with this motor, it's a good one, started right up after sitting for 4 months, but not much power. I will either get it rebuilt or replaced, or go with a V-6 or V-8 auto tranny combo. We'll see. Once I finish it up, let's see if we can get together soon.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, it's all back together and running well. It started right up and idled smoothly. I did everything right, ok, I was nervous. However (knew that was coming didn't ya?), the water pump is leaking. New gasket and the bolts are tight, still leaks. Now I have to remove a bunch of stuff so I can remove the pump. Shouldn't be anything that a lot of RTV can't fix. :thumb:

So, who's up for wheelin? Oops, see seperate thread. :darn:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, it's all finished. Josh stopped by and helped me remove the water pump. We made our own gasket and no more leaks. Mission accomplished. Now it's time for :drive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts