Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
ive looked everywhere for this information but, cant seem to get the answers i need.

i currently have a 700r4 with a 208 behind it,the 700r4 is blown.what will it take to swap in a th350?

also, i have an extra 4 speed with a blown 208 on back(case was torn apart when i got it),i also have a 208 out of a dodge.can i swap the guts from the dodge into the chevy(besides the input shafts and output shafts-they look to not match up)? are the basic guts the same?

any and all help would be appreciated
thanks
scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 350 to 208 in my truck , it has spacer between the t-case because the 350 is shorter, and it takes a longer tail shaft out of a t-250 tranny?(the shaft was cut down some) also to make up that space. (thats what the helps you outshop said) I hope this helps:drive:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the fast reply.that tells me exactly what i needed to know about the trannys.:thumb:
scott

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtngoat,
im located in northcentral nebraska-not much wheelin here but im close to the black hills.
scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can i do that with a 700r4 as well,just cut the tailshaft on a 2wheel drive? i like to keep my options open.
thanks
scott

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey lumpdog,
well,the truck currently has the 700r4 in it.i 700r4 is blown.4wd 700r4's are hard to find around here.if i can just swap a 2wd into it ,then i dont have to modify anything.i didnt know the tailshaft was longer on 2wd so i was looking for a replacement transmission idea.if i can cut a 2wd tailshaft down on a 700r4 then i might be able to find one of those both easier and cheaper than a 4wd.the reason i was asking about the th350 is that i understand the splines are the same.i like the 700r4 so want to keep it if possible.
the output on the 208 is slip.you actualy already answered that for me on the general talk category.
i have a 3/4 ton with a 4 inch lift for all the tough work.i use this truck for general driving and long distance trips, so im hoping to keep the good gas mileage that i was getting before the tranny went out.hoping the 700r4 will let me do that.everything around here is at least an hour away,nearest walmart is 3 hours.if it comes down to it ,i will have this one rebuilt.
sorry for the long post ,just trying to better explain my situation.
thanks for your help lumpdog
scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
Scott
I and lumpdog live in southwest idaho we have mud, rocks and bigger rocks, snow, sand, mtns, and trees. lumpdog is the tranny god if you need to know anything about them... :drive:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LUMPDOG,
i have a th350 4wd transmission,was wondering how much you want for that spacer you were telling me about.and also is there anything else i need to buy? will the spacer work with the 4wd or is the tailshaft too short for the conversion?
thanks for your time
scott

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts