Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Anybody out there have any experience with converting to propane. I am looking to install it on my 78 CJ-7. It has a 350 hp 350 chevy. I am wondering how it will affect power, reliability, cost ect. Thanks.

Glen

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
there are a couple of guys here that I sold propane setups to that I had... they can help you out... one important thing.... DON'T drop anything in your intake when you build it!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :deal:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Lumpdog said:
I think JoshH has a setup he was looking to unload.....
Nope, got it on the Jeep. I got it up and running just before I left. I haven't had much chance to drive it, but from the little bit I did I don't think the power loss is too bad. I did some swapping to get the mixer and regulator. I got a tank with it but it was too big to fit in the Jeep. I bought a 10 gallon forklift tank and had a pressure hose made. The two of those were around $250. If you have any other questions I'll answer what I can.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
DON'T drop anything in your intake when you build it!! quote said:
I wonder who you're referring to :roll: I did a conversion on my bronco and it works pretty good now. Shoot me a pm if you need help

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
:beer: thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Dave,

A couple of questions. Did you notice a change in power? If so was it torque or horse power? What kind of milage change did you notice if any. Some manufactures are claiming that oil changes can go longer and spark plugs last forever. What have you seen.

Thanks

Glen

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
GlenC said:
Hey Dave,

A couple of questions. Did you notice a change in power? If so was it torque or horse power? What kind of milage change did you notice if any. Some manufactures are claiming that oil changes can go longer and spark plugs last forever. What have you seen.

Thanks

Glen
Well when I had the old motor, what little I was able to run it before it blew up is that it seemed to have about the same amount of power and acceleration. This was going from an edelbrock 1406. However I was unable to run this motor long enough to adequately compare the two.

I kept the 2-bbl intake on this new motor so it is definately down on power from the 4-bbl. The power was decent but nothing special. I would say it is approximately the same as my old f-100 with the 2-barrel.

Fuel mileage I need to do some more fine tuning on. I have a 65 gallon tank and it was filled to about 80% for the last trip. I used about half of that driving to melba and back. Trail wheeling it seemed to use barely any at all. However after that run I found out the mixture was about 5 full turns too rich, i've fixed that and will be testing it soon.

Overall I really do like it, but it is a bit more of a chalenge to get gas. Wheeling meatgrinder I had the truck sitting vertical for several minutes and the idle never changed. There was no flooding, no hesitation, no bogging, it jsut ran.

Don't knwo if this helps much but when I get it tuned in better I'll chime in again. If you want to see it in action i'm going to the high desert run on the 24th.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I thing I am going with a kit from gotpropane.com. It bolts directly on to the intake and comes with all the hoses, regulators and such. I will let post the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts