Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up all the gear from aj this last week and have been slowly putting it together over the last few days. It was a lot easier than I thought and I should be able to get it running tomorrow.

As a bonus I finally got the rear bumper and stake pockets trimmed on the flatbed, it's starting to look like a wheeler :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she runs and she runs good. Can't wait unti lsaturday :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hey, dave. Good to hear it's working out for you. You picked up my stuff too right. I may have to check out your setup and get a little help with mine.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's incredibly easy, I was surprised. You're going to need a new tank though, yours is wayyyy too big.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eventually when I get another camera I will.

Just gotta say it was a pleasure to work this trade with AJ. The stuff was exactly as described and he even threw in some extra equipment that made the swap a lot easier. Good guy to do business with :beer:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Reincarnating this thread,, to do this to my spare 460, would I need to lose the EFI stuff, could I do this with the EFI stuff? What is required to do this?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
lose the EFI stuff and get a carbuerated intake manifold. Most propane setups are designed to be bolted to the carb intake manifold...
and DON'T drop any screws in the intake when ya do it!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
okay, what about compression ratio's on pistons?

hafta go thru bottom end, should I bump it up a few points , or leave it alone?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
talk to muddinmike, he has a couple carb'd 460's and may be interested in your efi stuff.

I did absolutely nothing to my motor internally to make it run on propane. I understand it'll make more power if you bump the compression but it'll work fine as is.

As a side note, if you contact john booth at mc welding he has my old 65 gallon tank, it might work for you.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
because I can't sleep:

removal of a bunch of electronic stuff, sensors, computer, wires, injectors, pumps, etc. simple and reliable, and easy to maintain.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
What do I hope to accomplish?

Have two trucks in my front yard, one is a 1992 F-250 460 EFI 5 speed extra cab long box.

Title is hopelessly lost, truck smokes oh my Gawd!!!!!!!!! bad, possibly upper end more on that later.

Second is my daily driver, 1988 F-250 302 EFI 5 speed standard cab long box.

Title will be mine $2500 from now, from a buy here pay here, runs all right, but I seem to average mixed driving 12 mpg ish.

Had an idea to take extra cab from 460, and body lift in Custom's fashion my 88 into an x cab, I seat 6, and mama won't wheel with me, as the kids, 2 or 3 of them will have to ride in buckets in back. Can't argue her point too hard, it is illegal for a reason.

Tired of the fuel consumption, have picked up that Volv wagon we used to own a couple months ago, so now two decent mpg D.D.'s in the driveway.

Have found an old travelall, 1962, that needs a loving home, I don't use the pick up enuff to justify the bed, and will have enough parts for a trailer if I want to go that route.

Trying to accomplish: The Travelall with a propane powered 460, due to
$3.++++++++ a gallon for petroleum, using the Five speed and any necessary running gear..

Family wheeler, cheaper fuel, and all rumors say better overall mpg.

At this point just kicking around ideas, not sure what I am gonna do, I really enjoy driving the 88, and I should be able to pull better mpg out of it, EGR valve, O2 sensor, and possibly replacing the cat with an official hi flo, as opposed to an Idaho county hi flo may help, and have only half buttoned up the exhaust leak at the manifold.

And I am not opposed to the idea of a Bronc, or Charger/Trailblazer.... Etc.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Oh

I thought the predominant reason for changing to propane was for cost effectiveness, didn't even think about the extreme angle aspect.
That part makes total sense, and understand the cross crrelation to EFI as far as the extreme angle aspect goes.

Like I said I am just kicking around ideas, as I have this complete running gear in my driveway, and it seems a shame not to utilize it in something...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
What do I hope to accomplish?

......At this point just kicking around ideas, not sure what I am gonna do, I really enjoy driving the 88, and I should be able to pull better mpg out of it, EGR valve, O2 sensor, and possibly replacing the cat with an official hi flo, as opposed to an Idaho county hi flo may help, and have only half buttoned up the exhaust leak at the manifold.

The best idea so far is to fix the 302 - lame that some buy here pay here shop sold you a dog. 302 s/b getting 15+ mpg, and 20 would not be a surprise if you were concerned about fuel consumption. All the fun and games seem like a total headache with the lack of experience at hand. I would seriously fix the truck that you are driving right now.

Also, what kind of smoke is coming out of the 460? You never got around to the possible shot top end.

And thank you ken for pointing out what my biggest question was. Why would you ditch the efficiency and reliability of fuel injection for propane. I like propane, dont get me wrong, but here is my biggest gripe:

Propane is not a "regulated for quality" fuel. It is a very clean burning fuel and for that I will give it the efficiency approval, however getting consistent mpg is not something to budget for yourself with propane.

Propane is great for a trail rig and if you want cheap fuel injection. It is also a really great supplemental fuel to diesel. It is not a viable replacement for existing fuel injection.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Thanks questions answered.

I have pulled almost 20 out of the 5.0. umm, south of nampa, through Parma, up to Cambridger, assuming 85-90 miles 4.7 gallons, finished camping, and tooled around Lost Valley reservoir, dropped down to Fruitvale the back way, went to New Meadows couple of times... was pretty easy on the fuel.

Got back to the valley, and can't seem to pull anywhere near that.

New: cap rotor plugs wires, air breather, reset the timing to where it will wrap past 3 grand with out a calendar to time it while it got there, feels strong, quick, and healthy.....

Cat is hollow, still attached, so EGR still has plumbing, and O2 is still in place, ummm, shorty exhaust, not enough back pressure maybe?
Cherry Bomb Turbo coming (oval muffler, relatively quiet) off of the cat, 6 big ass self tappers in the pipe between muffler and point of exit for back pressure increasing baffle (helped a lot actually)

Fawk oh dear it gives me fits, I bought it (as opposed to any other truck that ran decent off of that lot) just for the thrifty ness of the 302 5 speed, and the 3/4 ton factor (when I bought it I was using it for work).

Back to the 3 pack a day 460.... When you fire and its cold, I could move to Emmett, and IT could have a job Fogging for 'skeeters!:shocked: . After it warms, it goes away if on gas enuff to propel forward in straight line.
Let off, decompresses, step back on, say speed limit drops from 45 to 35 for an example, back to fogging for skeeters.

When I first brought it home, it was dark, and I though went completely away after 3 miles or so, and kinda came to the hopeful conclusion just valves, now I am leaning towards possible rings, a compression test with and without oil in the cylinders should tell that to me.

Compression tester got left in Springville Ut when I moved home, ("...can I fit that last box......... nah") Didn't go thru it.....:confused:

Now you know all the thought processes behind this idea of propaning the 460 and bronco or travelalling it.

Eliminate the need to extra cab the 88, although I greatly enjoy that truck, eliminate the car payment, although its reasonable, 150 a month or so, and from the two or three people I have talked to, the propane motors get better mpg than a gas motor, had a roomamte with a 318, on propane 20, on gas 12, have a buddy (best man at wedding.... reliable source) had a cherokee like my old one, 10-12 on the 360 with gas as the propellant, 18 with propane.

Both stories said weaker power wise on the propane, and the numerical loss is supposed to be what, 15-20%, so if I guy went thru and did pistons, which I could end up going thru the bottom end anyway... and went 10.5:1 or so, then the 20% loss would be compensated for, it gets 12 regardless of load or conditions as an EFI 460, so in theory it woul;d deliver that, or better on propane..... was sorting making sense....

So I brught the idea here.

Kinda shot down, but I still have the drivetrain, 460 5 speed, TTB front, and Sterling rear with 4.10's. And it runs awesome, minus the smokage....

Might do the travelall, or bronc any way, or sell, or scrap, who knows.

All threads need pics.... so.......
can't do the first pic with a Toyota van.
Donor rig
MY baby as she sits today.
Easy to see how the last box (compression tester) got left in Purgatory.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You can borrow a compression tester from me anytime. I still think there is nothing wrong with the fuel injection on that 460. I would bet the top end is just fine. Especially the FI.

The van :thumb:

:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts