Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my attempt at building a bottom dollar capable wheeler. As of now I have approximately $400 invested including the purchase of the Jeep. Here are the stats so far.

1980 Cherokee Chief
360 AMC V8
TF 727 auto trans
Dodge NP208 fixed rear yoke
10 bolt front 3.73s welded
12 bolt rear 3.73s welded
33x10.50r15 TSL radials
on board air (York)
spring over front
shackle flip rear

And here are a couple of pics. I've got longer shackles coming for the rear to make it closer to level with the front.

Cherokee (Medium).jpg

Cherokee (1) (Medium).jpg

Cherokee (2) (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Be careful with the steering stuff....IMO that isnt the place to skimp!

And that welded front end is going to play hell on any steering...

Might want to look at getting a dropped pitman arm, taking some of the angle out of the drag link, and making a new drag link.

Let me know if you need a hand sourcing parts or materials.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I expected more comments about the welded front end. I'm sure it will make things a little difficult, but I think I can manage. If the steering is too tough I've got a 2x8 ram I can use to make hydraulic assist. I don't think I'll have any trouble with the drag link either. It's solid material that was sleeved with .095 DOM tube welded solid at both ends and plug welded in 4 spots. I'm not going to be driving it on the road much anyway. I'll keep an eye on it and if it looks like it's having issues I'll take care of it if/when that problem arises. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it is turning out so far.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've made slightly more progress in the past couple of weeks. I just got the rear driveline in and hooked up all the brake lines. Here are some flex pics. I don't have a front driveline so this is as far as I could drive up before my back tires started spinning. People were sure looking at me funny when they drove by.

cherokee 001 (Medium).jpg

cherokee 002 (Medium).jpg

cherokee 003 (Medium).jpg

cherokee 004 (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think you should invest $30 for a gallon of paint, masking tape, brush and a roller :rotfl:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, stock springs all the way around. I was very impressed with the flex. I got the drivelines all done (sort of) and finished up a couple other things today. I flexed it up with a forklift and cleared 36" under the rear tire before it lifted another one. I was pretty happy with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts