Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 GMC with a 454 Vortec in it. It starts everytime, but it is a hard start when it has been run or the temp outside is hot. In the morning it cranks right over. I have a hunch it is a fuel pump problem, but don't know. My oil pressure fluctuates quite a bit too. I know some of you know your GM stuff, so let me know what you think.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
sounds like you need to change the fuel filter and hope that the pump hasn't gone south, they want a chunk of change for the pump.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
It probably is your fuel regulator sticking. You may notice that when you start it there's smoke from the tail pipe. Also, #5 and #7 plugs usually start getting fuel fouled.

It is easy to replace, and you should also pop the top off of the plenum to clean out the fuel deposits there. I have replaced so many of those on big blocks. It only sticks every now and again, then pumps a bit of gas in the intake, then when you start it next it has to clear the "flood" out, which usually results in extended crank times.

Just a thought anyways.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! I will try these ideas. The fuel filter seems ok, but I guess I will dig deeper. Wish I were closer Chris. Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 1999 GMC with a 454 Vortec in it. It starts everytime, but it is a hard start when it has been run or the temp outside is hot. In the morning it cranks right over. I have a hunch it is a fuel pump problem, but don't know. My oil pressure fluctuates quite a bit too. I know some of you know your GM stuff, so let me know what you think.
Quick clarification. When you say that it's hard starting, do you mean that it cranks over easily but won't fire, or that it doesn't want to crank over?

454s are notorious for starter heat soak, where the starter absorbes heat from the exhaust and then refuses to turn over when it's hot out, or the engine's been run for a while. Typically, a starter heat shield is the cure, or replacement with a mini-starter, or both. I hear that this problem is even worse with headers.

Granted, my experience is limited to 454s from the 1970's, but I don't think this will be any different.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It cranks well, just won't fire. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
chevycrew will probably chime in here soon as a possible solution, as I think he has had this problem before on his 99 crewcab with the 454....

·
Registered
698 Posts
Friend of mine has a 99 that did the same thing. It was the fuel regulator. He replaced that and it starts like a champ now.

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
A friend of mine had a problem like that and it was the battery. It was'nt fully charging, but it cranked over fine. He put in a newq battery and it cured the problem. He also thought it was the fuel pump or related item.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
chevycrew will probably chime in here soon as a possible solution, as I think he has had this problem before on his 99 crewcab with the 454....

Yep I had this same issue, with my 99 454 and the wifes, 97 305...

Turned out to be a fuel pump bleeding back through itself.

Do yourself a favor, do not buy a reman pump at a discount auto place.

Get the complete unit from the dealer, it will last much longer.

I regret not going that route with mine.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dealer guessed it was the fuel pressure regulator. If Chevycrew is correct, I will do the fuel pump. Do I need both?

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
I would change your fuel filter for sure. Then look at the #5 and #7 plugs. If they look more fuel fouled than the others then your regulator is most likely leaking. It is an easy job to replace the regulator really. Plus you should pull the upper plenum and get all the built up fuel deposits cleaned out with some carb cleaner. Just make sure your plugs are out so you can crank on it and blow the carb cleaner out. I didn't do that once and hydrolocked a cylinder.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great, thanks guys!

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I would change your fuel filter for sure. Then look at the #5 and #7 plugs. If they look more fuel fouled than the others then your regulator is most likely leaking. It is an easy job to replace the regulator really. Plus you should pull the upper plenum and get all the built up fuel deposits cleaned out with some carb cleaner. Just make sure your plugs are out so you can crank on it and blow the carb cleaner out. I didn't do that once and hydrolocked a cylinder.

Once you have the upper plenum off, you might as well as replace the intake gasket as well...100,000 miles is about all they are good for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts