Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy who just got back from Iraq has a 72 bronco. I have been trying to scrape up as many parts as I can afford for him to fix the thing up. Since I picked up this 81 F-250, is there any way I can take the power steering off that and put it onto a Bronco?? I know "anything" is possible, but for a semi-mechanically challenged person like myself, is it possible??

·
Registered
43 Posts
It will not be an easy bolt on. the Broncos used the old 289 style pulley setup so they will not even bolt up to a 302 very easy.

The Broncos also used the old style PS pump. Also PS box is a pain to put on. A Saginaw box will not work very easily on the Bronco because the radiator is right where the box would go.

I am not saying that it cannot be done, I have seen very nice conversions, I am just saying it is not as easy as on a CJ.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Andy, contact Bannind on here-he has a P/S pump and bracket for early Bronco in the for sale section. Also other Bronco parts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, I will check that out too!! I can use all the help I can get, never really played too much with the fords

·
Registered
135 Posts
:idea:I have a 71 f-100 that I just took the powersteering pump off of. I thought that the 72 bronc's came with powersteering? But anyway. it is a 2wd and if you want to take a look at the whole setup and see if it will work for you, then we could make a deal. I also have the pump, cause it wouldn't fit my 78 bronc.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
We used a saginaw pump on broncomans bronco and a Nissan box, the only problem has been the wimpy pitman arm on it. Scott will probably have one made when he finally breaks or bends his beyond the point of repair. He bought the brackets to put the saginaw pump on pm him (broncoman) also 73bronco on here is very knowledgeable about the early broncos

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have done a swap with the internals from a 80+ ford and the box from a 78-79 f150 4x4. works well. pump can be had from any number of ford 302's. BC Broncos has an excellent write up for the steering box conversion

·
Registered
135 Posts
power steering was offered as an option beginning in 73

I thought that it started in 72, because I was going to buy a 72 and it had come stock with it in that one. It was from an old Bronco happy man that I asked if he had put the powersteering in himself, and he told me that in 72 they came stock. Maybe he was wrong, or maybe that would be something to check into to make sure that you don't have your years wrong.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
135 Posts

Here is the chart I always reference when it comes to the bronco options.

http://www.broncohio.com/tech/broncochart.html

However, they could be wrong - since you can order a ps pump from www.partsamerica.com for a 72 bronco.

either way there are lots of different ways to do the swap. It all comes down to $$$ and ability.
:darn:Thats what I thought. If you can order one, then they came out in that year, at least that's what I would figure anyway??:what:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts