Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anybody running these tires on a DD or know someone who is? I'm new to the 4x4 thing waiting for my lift kit to show up so I'm trying to decide on some tires but the options are endless. I've allready asked about the thornbirds which didn't get a good rating and just found these tires which are supposed to be the cats a$$. I live in Canada so I need something good in snow, mud and can be used on my DD which is an 87 chevy 1/2 ton. I can't even find a review on them there all on the Pitbull
Rockers. I really like the looks of them and thats kinda what I'm lookin for but I don't want something that will drive you insane with road noise I mean some is acceptable but there is a limit especially if I have to drive it every day. Thanks for all your help:thumb:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I hadn't heard about these tires before, so I did a Google and found this on the Pirate website. There was also a review on another site that basically said they thought that with all the different styles of tread blocks they thought it would do well in the mud. I haven't read anything about hiway manners:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369254

·
Registered
695 Posts
Try looking at the Interco TrXus M/T's. I know lots of people that really like the tire and use them on their DD. I ran them for a whole 1200 miles and really liked them, just too small for me. I went down in tire size and found out that I didn't like that so had to go bigger again....But they were very good tires...should do pretty well in the snow and ice too....

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I have the trXus M/T's on my wifes truck, so far about 2500 miles on them, no visable wear, even with it being an ifs truck. They handle great, are quiet and do almost as well as the more aggresive tsl's and tsl/sx. Overall I am very happy with these, If we change anything on her truck it will only be to go from 37's to 38's with a solid axle. But will stay with the trxus m/t.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
We are running the Trxux M/T tires on our little BlaZer (31/10.50/15) and I'm sorry to say we aren't happy with ours. Couldn't get them balanced right, first on a set of black steel wheels with fake bead locks (thought it was the bead locks so we sent the wheels back) and then a set of aluminum wheels. Had to send one tire back it was so bad. We have had them on for maybe a year. I'm thinking of taking them off and putting them on my trailer. They do seem to where good (except for them getting a little cupped because of the balance problem) but they are a little noisy, you can hear me coming. I don't mind it tho'. May only be this set of tires with the balance problem. If it wasn't for the balance problem I would like this set.

·
Registered
781 Posts
From the sounds of your needs i would stick with a radial tire for the better road manners, especially in the winter, bias ply tires have a tendancy to flat spot really bad and not hook up like radials on the ice, I have run both types in the past and prefer radials over bias plies for a good all around tire, personally I'm sold on the goodyear MTR:thumb:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
We are running the Trxux M/T tires on our little BlaZer (31/10.50/15) and I'm sorry to say we aren't happy with ours. Couldn't get them balanced right, first on a set of black steel wheels with fake bead locks (thought it was the bead locks so we sent the wheels back) and then a set of aluminum wheels. Had to send one tire back it was so bad. We have had them on for maybe a year. I'm thinking of taking them off and putting them on my trailer. They do seem to where good (except for them getting a little cupped because of the balance problem) but they are a little noisy, you can hear me coming. I don't mind it tho'. May only be this set of tires with the balance problem. If it wasn't for the balance problem I would like this set.
Nope the balance issue is a common problem with the TRXus MTs, it isn't just you. And since they weren't available locally I decided against them for that very reason. It would be a PITA trying to deal with mail order for out of round tires. The do seem to wear well for a Swamper. And I've wheeled with a lot of guys running them over the years and they seem to hook up really well on the trail.

I have the Toyo Open Country MTs and I'm happy with them so far but they are expensive. And depending upon how expensive they get will determine if I buy them again.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I sell the pit bull tires out of the shop, Bill taylor has a set of them.

They have a special rubber compound that makes them last on the street but still work well offroad...Im not sure how, but it works!

The downfall to them, is that they are pricey, and all come pretty wide in comparison to simular tires.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If your looking for something good in the snow and ice, BFG A/Ts

siped or studded BFG M/Ts work great too.

The MTRs work good siped as well, but they $$ compared to the BFGs... $70 more a tire when I bought tires for my truck!

If Alberta roads are anything like winter roads I'm used to your best choice would be to by 2 sets of tires, summer and winter.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
wow , im surprised to hear of a balance issue, we had all 4 tires with less than 10 ounces, 3 tires were less than 5 ounces. they are almost as quiet as the bfg a/t she had on there before. I dont know, maybe just got lucky.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
wow , im surprised to hear of a balance issue, we had all 4 tires with less than 10 ounces, 3 tires were less than 5 ounces. they are almost as quiet as the bfg a/t she had on there before. I dont know, maybe just got lucky.
With the TRXus?

I know several people who run them in 285/75 and 315/75 on 16" rims that have problems with balance. A guy I know really well runs them in the 315 but it took 6 replacement tires to get a set that would balance up. He lives in LA so they just kept returning them to 4 wheel parts until he had a good set. Now that he has them he loves them, but he has a good set.

It seems this balance issue is limited to the TRXus MT. Never heard of any problem with their desert tire version or any of the other radials they make. The only other issue I've ever heard folks report is that the SSRs have sort of a weak sidewall.

I'm not a diehard Toyo guy but my 315/75/16s the highest amount of weight I have on them is 1.5 ounces and lowest is a .5 ounce.

MTRs would be another good choice. They were in fact my first choice but they were unavailable in my size both times I've tried to buy them.

I've run BFG MTs and they are fairly undersized. I also had sidewall issues with them wheeling. I think I went through 4 sidewalls in about 3 months in 2004 with them. They don't like the lava rocks. These tires definitely need siping for winter driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys thanks for all your help Ive been hearing alot of good things about the Toyo open country M/t's and i think thats what I'll go with. I s siping something they do at the tire shop or do you have to do it yourself and is there a special technique to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts