Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the home stretch on my Blazer redo and in a few weeks it will be paint time.

The idea is that the Alum panels and other misc stuff will get powdercoated. The frame and the cage bars and stuff will go black. The Fiberglass hood and the other 18 guage metal panels will go blue.

So, a few questions. On the frame and cage, should I just shoot it black with some tractor paint or will it look bad? Prime and paint maybe?

Do I need to prime the fiberglass or can I shoot some single stage on it and get away with it?

I would like it to look nice but it doesnt have to be that nice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. :cool:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Cage and frame would get the tractor paint if it was me. $18 a gallon:thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want the paint to stick on a consistent basis for any length of time, you're gonna want to prime.

If you don't mind touching up often, just shoot it.

On my rig, the stuff I primed first is holding up much better to abuse and weather than the stuff I didn't prime. That's with a Duplicolor bombcan job.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey Matt prime or seal anything that will be painted -- That will promote adhesion and it wont flake off ----Then scuff of the top with a scuff pad or light sandpaper 320 - 400 grit --- wash and shoot -- should look good....

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Aluminum... how about get it anodized? That would be bling!

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting a good deal on the powdercoat so I thought that would be the cheapeast route. Thats a good point on future mods with the powdercoat, I'll keep that in mind.

So maybe I'll go tractor paint for the black, but I'll do a full prime and single stage for the Blue.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts