Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear with me here, as this pains me to write. My punctuation and spelling may be off but you will get the message regardless.

Last week, one of our twin boys, Zachary started limping on his left leg. Being a 2.5 YO kid, we thought maybe he just banged his leg. Well 2 days later it had worsened so much that he could not even stand on it.

We took him into the DR. and they did some x-rays and an exam and didnt find anything. They sent him home with some medicine calling it a simple sprain. Well he woke up sunday night screaming, so I took him to the ER and they finally did some blood tests.

Between the ER and his regular DR., Monday evening Zach was hospitalized for more research and tests to be complete as he was Anemic.

Well yesterday after being in the hospital all week we finally received his diagnosis. Zach is in stage for of a cancer called Neuroblastoma. He has a large (about a softball size) tumor in his upper right chest cavity. This cancerous tumor has spread to what looks to be at this point his left leg and hip.

His treatment starts today of his first Chemo therapy wich lasts for about 6 days and then 2-3 weeks at home. He will go through about 6 months of this and then we will have to take him to another facility for him to do a Stem Cell Transplant. (this is where they remove his bone marrow, give him extreme doses of Chemo and then put his bone marrow back in).

At some point he will probably receive radiation treatment, and the surgery to remove the mass. This will be a very long tough battle for him and our family. Statistically he has a 50/50 chance of being cured, so as tough as it is, we are hoping for the best.

As I hope all of you believe, Family comes first, so unfortunately you will not see us out on the race circuit, and probably not too much out on the trail either. HBRK4x4.com will go to the back burner, and Amber will not be doing day care anymore either.

On the brighter side of this, he is a very strong boy and he has had some tough days since he was born and he is very resilient to things trying to keep him down.

So in conclusion, we will update those who care as often as we can, but may be tough some times depending on the busy schedule. Email will be a best contact for us at [email protected]

For the religious folks out there, please add zach to your prayers and for those who are not, next time you have a drink, toast to him.

This is all for now :(

Shane

·
Registered
539 Posts
Our Families Thoughts and Prayers are with you.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
thata a helluva tough break, let me know if I can do anything to help

·
ITTC Wench!
1,419 Posts
God bess your son and family. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Jeff and Sherri McCluskey

·
Registered
137 Posts
Holy crap-ola Shane and Amber...

May I ask which hospital you are at? Lukes?

If so...those are some VERY nice people and they are soooooo into the kids there. We have done a ton of fundraising for the childrens hospital there and have toured the facility...

Having a 2.5 and a 5.5 year old ourselves...Allison and I are keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim and Allison

·
Registered
401 Posts
Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I am sorry to hear about this. If you guys need anything just holler.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words all!

Some of you have called, i am not ignoring you but I may not be able to call you back soon either.

An email would be best, if you guys dont mind.

Yes Jim, we are downtown at the St Luke's. We are receiving excellent care here from all of the staff. The staff goes way above and beyond of what other hospitals do!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Truly sorry to hear about this. I have one suggestion. A friend of mine had cancer in his leg. The local doctors actually wanted to amputate. He ended up going to the Mayo clinic in Arizona (I think it is AZ). When they were done he barely had a limp.

Do some research, and find the best doctors you can. Good luck, and let us know if anyone here can do anything to help.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Man I'm sorry to hear this. It's not fair for little kids to have to go through problems like this. I don't pray much but I'll sure toast to him:beer: .

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry to hear about poor Zach! :( Our thoughts & prayers are with you guys.

·
Registered
346 Posts
:( I am so Sorry Shane, I can't even begin to imagine the pain and stress that would put on you and Amber, or what your little guy is going to have to go thru. They have come a long way in treating these conditions and he will be tough, I've seen him at events and he is already. All in the 4x4 community have you and your family in our thoughts and we will be cheering Zach on thru his battle.
Hang tough and in a year we all hope to see the family out again doing what you all love to do.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Truly sorry to hear about this. I have one suggestion. A friend of mine had cancer in his leg. The local doctors actually wanted to amputate. He ended up going to the Mayo clinic in Arizona (I think it is AZ). When they were done he barely had a limp.

Do some research, and find the best doctors you can. Good luck, and let us know if anyone here can do anything to help.

MSTI has is a great group of docs, it is hard to go wrong with them. We are fortunate to have the caliber of oncologists, hell physicians here in the valley that are normally reserved for major universities. Having worked with a lot of them you are in good hands. As I mentioned in the PM, if you need anything, all you have to do is ask. Our thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thx, Everyone This is so very hard for us. Zachary is at St. Lukes in Boise, 4th floor room 4636. He can have visitors and actually it is good for him to have them to keep his spirits up. However if you are even remotely sick, getting a cold please don't come see him until you are better, even the slightest cold germ can make him and the other children in the hospital sick.

Thx!
Amber

1 - 20 of 66 Posts