Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So wheeling today and a heard a pop, didn't seem loud to me, I thought it was a rock I picked up.

I wasn't even getting on it hard. 1st gear and I was trying to bump over a rock, maybe 1400rpm if that. I was being easy on it not to break parts :rotfl:

Anyway... I disengage my locker, and it just grinds when I try to go.

Busted a shaft, and also the ARB. I didn't notice damage to the ARB right away, but it was leaking air into the diff after it broke, so I new something wasn't right. Wasn't very easy to get it out either because the broken pieces were wedged in there. Took me almost 2hrs, though I was working on a crush rock driveway in the dark too.

It's hard to see in the pic, but the case and inner bearing race are both cracked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and it's awesome when both my rigs are down :darn:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ouch. What do you plan to do about the ARB.

BTW give me a call I've got a truck you can borrow until you get one going. I'll PM you my number in case you don't have it anymore.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm going to call ARB tomorrow and find out if they can rebuild it (again). It just needs a new case and that bearing. I'm guessing around $400. A new shaft is like $60... I wish it was just that I broke!

Oh, thanks a bunch about the truck, that will help me out a ton!

Does anyone know Trevor's phone #? (guy with the Red Ramcharger). He's supposed to give me a ride tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
308 Posts
To bad you can't blame it on ARB. Had a buddy smoke the spiders in the ARB and they ended up replacing it. (sort of) They didn't have a super 35 arb in stock so he payed the difference for a D60 ARB and started getting parts for a D60 build.

BTW...nice XJ

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I this one had new spiders in it as well, replaced for free by ARB.

I think what broke the ARB was me driving on it after it broke. I didn't realize it was broke at first, so I tried that line another time or two. Nothing sounded wrong until I unlocked the rear and I couldn't go.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Nate, I did the same thing to my rear axle and ARB last weekend, If you come up with a contact # for ARB in the US that we can get parts from I would appreciate a heads up. Looks like you guys had a great trip and a senic place to wheel though wish I would have joined in on that one. Very nice XJ. Did you ever get that trailer you were looking for?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thats called a typo with no proof reading, sorry about that

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Go OX if your high enough the cable isn't even a danger and its run behind the tie rod so its protecting it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah that sounds about right. I'm sending it to them tomorrow.

Chuck, their phone number is (425) 264 1391. They are in Washington.

I sent that locker back already for bad spiders and they had great service and it didn't cost me anything. Keith was saying if that locker was under warranty, this would be free too, but it's like 4 years old.

I priced shafts today and they I got prices from $55-65. I need to call Doug here in town to see if he has anything.

If I go with different axles later on, I'll probably put a spool in the back and ARB in the front. Maybe a Detroit in the back. ARBs are nice for a DD, but the Jeep isn't really anymore. I almost should have put an ARB in the truck instead of the Detroit, put it was about $300 more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts