Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As luck would have it, I've run across one of those folks who buys wrecked vehicles and squashes them, then flatbeds 'em down to SLC for something like $25 a ton. On the first visit there I saw (2) D-60 front ends :thumb: and (1) D-60 rear, and a D-70 dually. Also saw two TH400s and a selection of manual trannies and one transfer case (a BW1345, I think...I didn't have my cheat book in hand to tell which was what.) I imagine, though I didn't see any, that there's opportunities for unusual sourcing from tractors and larger trucks and the like. Hydraulics comes to mind there. The guy moves several vehicles a week and, considering his rural location, most of them are trucks.

So - if there's anything someone's looking for, there's an opportunity here to get it for a fair price. I'd rather not say where he's at, but I will tell y'all that I'd be moving anything requested through Idaho Falls, being as that's where I live.

I can also tell ya that I' getting the first :bowdown: high pinion D-60 front axle I see. Mine. I already (prepare to gasp) traded a nearly new 10 bolt for a high pinion D-60 rear axle. I even told the guy :deal: what he had and about what it was worth, and he told me all he needed was an axle to put under the trailer he was building, so he didn't care if it was the one I had or the one he had. So we traded. DAMN that was a lucky day.

Reply here or send me mail if you're interested in something.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
D60 rear is about as worthless as the 10bolt, so you didn't get much of a deal there. Takes too much $$ to make them worth a crap for a trail rig, where you can throw in a D70 or 14bolt for less.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Wow. I learn something new everyday. Never knew D60 rear was worthless. Guess I better tell all my friends that are runing them that they have a chitty rear axle.:lame:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Wow. I learn something new everyday. Never knew D60 rear was worthless. Guess I better tell all my friends that are runing them that they have a chitty rear axle.:lame:
you better. cuz they are chit. i agree with nate. :shame:

·
Registered
891 Posts
you better. cuz they are chit. i agree with nate. :shame:
I guess it depends on what you are working with, If you have a dana35 like a lot of us jeep guys, than I think it is a great swap. Fairly cheap and like ten times stronger.

If I am working on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton p.u. or a buggy, than I see your point I guess.

Just my .02 for what its worth.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Been happy with the D60 in my rig. :drive:

Gotta do your homework and buy the right rear D60. The one you want is a 1989 ford E-350 (yes E as in Van). Smooth bottom like a D70 and large bore spindles so you can slide in 1.5" 35 spline shafts without modifications. Large axle tubes. Can be found for ~350-400 dollars.

BUT a 14B is much cheaper option. Three bearing pinion. Lose the drum brakes and lose 200lbs. Not a good option if you run 37" tires or smaller.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll take a Ford 86-91.5 (I think that's the year range) front HP60 if you run across one. I'd even take just a housing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured the high pinion D-60 would be on the list, because the first one's mine. Because of that, I expect I'll see zero. I'm told there's one there, but I need to see it first to believe it. I'll come back to this post if I run across any.

Teach me about the rear D-60 too? I'll agree that they're cheap, but that's just because they're all over the junk yards (like 14 bolts.) That's a good thing. The rear D-60 I'm getting in trade for my 10 bolt is a high pinion, so that's why I'm interested. Nothing wrong with moving the pinion up a couple inches. Plus - I'm collecting parts now to build a small rock crawler. An old Toyota P/U, an FJ40, maybe an older CJ or even a Sammy. D-60s will probably be overkill there.

From a strength point, the D-60 is a very strong axle. Because the pinion is the 12 bolt's weak link and the ring gear is the 10 bolt's weak link and they both have smaller axle shafts, the D-60 takes both those axles hands down. It's stronger than all the more traditional junkyard fair but the larger Dana axles and the 14 bolt - which it's about tied with. Most D-60s have stronger shafts because of more splines and equal shafts...yes, I know there are plenty of D-60s with 30 splines and some have shafts that neck down to ~1.3", but I'm saying most. Conversely, the D-60s have a weaker ring, pinion, and pinion/carrier support bearings. The D-60 diff housing is made of nodular iron and I think, from looking under my own truck at my own 14 bolt, that the 14 bolt diff housing is cast. Nodular iron is significantly more ductile, and therefore more capable of taking a slamming against a boulder without cracking. Lastly, the D-60 diff housing doesn't hang down low like the teats of a pregnant sow, as does the 14 bolt.

I probably need to include the sterling 10.25 and some of the AAM axles in the list of those stronger than the D-60. I don't know a thing about those, though, and haven't read articles comparing their strengths and weaknesses like I have on the others. As for real world experience - I've broke D-30 (F), D-35 (R), 10 bolts(F & R), 12 bolts (R), and a D-60 (F). The D-30 was the only one I broke that I thought should have broken. The D-60 was already damaged before I broke it. I've not broken a 14 bolt, but then I've never really challenged the 14 bolt on my truck. We'll see how it fairs when I do.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Question - is Ford the only manufacturer that's ever run the HP Dana axles? I've never seen a Chevy or Dodge with one on it. But then again I've never seen a D-70 front axle on anything but Dodge.

I wonder if the car companies get this crap special ordered just so they can be different.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a dana 70 with 4:10s 35 spline in great shape for $50 if some one comes and gets it out of my driveway. A Turdy five for an XJ for free. Oh yeah about 2 or three extra set of axles for the the Turdy Five too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some quick axle facts:

Stock 14 bolt wins for strength period plus has strongest shafts except for the very rare 35 spline stock 60s. Dana 70 isn't worth the weight in my opinion under a wheeler, it has stronger housings but everything else is just 60 stuff. Sterling has strong parts , if you change anything it's gonna cost you big. A hard to find but is the strongest rear axle is the old Eatons under 1960s 1 ton GM/ Chevy trucks. It's a drop out style ( 9 inch, Toyota) and most you find have 4.56 gears and Detroit lockers.
60s come in so many sizes and spline counts but there are a coulpe of gems in the bunch. Like Tony pointed out Ford E350 vans from 86 to currant have large spindle smooth bottom . It will have 30 spline stock shafts and many come with Trac Locs. For a real cool oldie axle, Dodge 1/2 ton vans late 60s to 71 or so had semi float 5x5.5 D60 in them. A good builder axle for smaller stuff.
Also kinda off the path, since we're in snow country. If you see them crushing any snow cats, many brands had d60 axle units with low gear sets. Just my .02 worth

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
You should advertise those d-35's over here in the Portland area! We had to try to find one for a friend up there in Port. and it was nearly impossible to find. He ended up paying out the donkey for it. Just thuoght maybe you could make a dollar on them, rather than free!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the folks I didn't IM - the guy I'm buying through gave me this story about having lots of irons in the fire. I'll stay in touch with him, bug him at least twice a week, and see if we're able to get anything out of him. I believe he's crushing good parts - at some point in the future, if I have the capital, I may start just buying the more marketable parts from him anyway. In the meantime, though, we're waiting. I'm waiting, too.

Here's one for those in need, if they've got the skins. There's a guy at Bonneville Wrecking who wants $1300 for a front passenger-drop D-60 and $800 (I think) for a 14 bolt with an "almost new" Detroit locker in it. I didn't ask him any questions about quality or mileage since rebuilt because his prices are so high I wouldn't care anyway. I'm just passing it along in case someone else is interested. If one of y'all western Idaho folk are interested, IM me and I could arrange the purchase for you. Why you'd wanna pay that much...I dunno. I paid less than a grand for my D-60 and 14 bolt, together, but I had to go through several eBay auctions before I finally won one. It takes patience.

-Mikey-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts