Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a CB for the buggy. Since space is a premium I have been looking at one of these. I am not a CB guy so i am ignorant in what to look for. I realize that you get what you pay for but I am looking for small size/theft resistance with 'good' range. I bought one of the handheld ones and it was a POS. I litterally had to be within eyesight and not more than 200 yards to communicate.:darn:

Radio shack has this one for 99.97. Is is worth it? I spent 100 dollars on the handheld one and like I said it sucked.

Any suggestions? Tips?

Here are the specs:

Remote installation box goes under your dash, out of sight. Quick disconnect allows removal of the handpiece for safe-keeping or use in other vehicles.

40 CB and 10 weather channels (seven NOAA and three international)
  • Dual watch to monitor two channels at once
  • Full channel scan of all 40 channels
  • SoundTracker® system to reduce static by up to 90%
What's in the box

• Handset
  • DC power and power output module

You'll also need

• Mobile CB antenna with weather band (What does 'weather band' mean? I have a four foot fiberglass ant. with 6 ft of coax?)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Tony I have one of those hooked up in Sherry jeep. works fine but you have to be careful about bumping the buttons some times. If you have space for one of the smaller normal style radios I have a good 21 channel one here I'll give you. works fine and you only use the lower channels around here anyway. I mounted mine overhead in the roll cage. out of the way and I can still get to it easily. You're welcome to drop by and see both systems hooked up if you like.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have one of those Cobras in my Taco. Works as good as any other one, except you may keep moving the volume every time you grab it-especially if gloved. They work better with a remote speaker attached, because the speaker is so tiny. Feel free to come by anytime and check this one out if you like. I really like the wx stations on it though. I also have an SWR meter if needed when you set it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am in the market for a CB for the buggy. Since space is a premium I have been looking at one of these. I am not a CB guy so i am ignorant in what to look for. I realize that you get what you pay for but I am looking for small size/theft resistance with 'good' range. I bought one of the handheld ones and it was a POS. I litterally had to be within eyesight and not more than 200 yards to communicate.:darn:

Radio shack has this one for 99.97. Is is worth it? I spent 100 dollars on the handheld one and like I said it sucked.

Any suggestions? Tips?

Here are the specs:

Remote installation box goes under your dash, out of sight. Quick disconnect allows removal of the handpiece for safe-keeping or use in other vehicles.

40 CB and 10 weather channels (seven NOAA and three international)
  • Dual watch to monitor two channels at once
  • Full channel scan of all 40 channels
  • SoundTracker® system to reduce static by up to 90%
What's in the box

• Handset
  • DC power and power output module

You'll also need

• Mobile CB antenna with weather band (What does 'weather band' mean? I have a four foot fiberglass ant. with 6 ft of coax?)
My personal opinion is that those are not the way to go, the button issue and the people around here who have them have problems hearing at times. I have one of these. http://www.rfwiz.com/UnidenPro520XL.htm The 510 is less by about 15 bucks and has no RF gain adjustment nor PA option, but is the same size.
They work great and fit right into my ash trash space in my Taco. I also have one in my Semi-truck. Everyone else that has one loves them too. It is all about the antenna for great transmission and reception, I have been able to talk on the I-10 for a range of 12 miles with this and my 102" whip that had a near perfect setting to it the way I mounted it.
I have never had good luck with and everyone that sounds lousy or won't transmit far with fiber glass antennas. I usually rile some feather saying that, but it has been my experience for the last 8 years hands down. Make sure you get top quality coax cable and a very good antennae set up with the braided ground strap at the mount and you will have great results. Sorry it is blurry.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tony,
I have your basic small, cheap Radio Shack CB, all have the same power. Things that I have found that have helped. Get a good external speaker. Mine has qiuit working 3 times but, they have always replaced the speaker for free every time. Have to have external speaker.
Most important. Get a good antenna. Bill, has good luck with a fiberglass. Mine is wire. AND GET IT TUNED!! I have a tuner. Would be happy to help you.
Had a guy tune mine once. Very helpfull, but we should be able to do it ourselves.

Howard:darn:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a Cobra 19 plus that you can have. I have one of these in my rig an it works great. x2 what Howard said, tune your antenna :deal:

COBRA-19 PLUS CB.JPG

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses!

What I have learned -

Get an SWR meter.
Tune your CB.
Get good coax cables.
Good grounded antenna.

Harvey, you have a PM

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Most of the time, you won't need to tune your antenna if you're running a stock radio. Most new radios only put out 4 watts (FCC max) from the factory. So, unless you're going to be running an S9 or Galaxy, or something that's been tuned, tweaked, and peaked, putting out 30 or 40 watts, (S9's and Galaxys puts out about 60-80 watts stock, because they're 10 meter radios) tuning your antenna won't make that big of a difference. chevycrew runs a Cobra 19II and 102" whip, untuned, and I can hear him for about 3-5 miles. I run a 102" whip and a Uniden PC66XL, that puts out about 15 watts, and the antenna is tuned, and can hear almost anything. I can also transmit for about 5-10 miles. Working at a trucking terminal that does over-the-road hauling does give you an advantage when it comes to radios. The drivers are always talking about what works, and what doesn't. The bottom line is that a stock radio and a good antenna system will always be better than a hot rod radio and a crappy antenna system. For fool proof operation, and this will be hard to do in a buggy, run about 18 feet of cable between your radio and your antenna. This was a tip from a radio builder I used to know. 9 out of 10 times, that little Cobra 19 will stomp a Cobra 25LTD with a shorter wire.:thumb:

P.S. Don't know about the braided ground strap. I run regular ends on my wires. You can go to Radio Shack, and buy, I think, 18 feet of preterminated wire with ends already on. It's either 18 or 20 feet. Can't remember for sure. Just screw one end into the radio, and the other end, depending on your mount, into the mount itself. Sometimes, different mounts are required. Talk to Steve at Foothill, and he can tell you how he did his system.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I disagree. The tuning of the antenna is very important. It lets you see all sorts of problems you might have with grounding etc...

Anything over 5 watts is illegal on 11M (CB). Not that there are radio police running around. You can really screw up other people's radios if you are running a lot of power.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Never heard that one before. It's also llegal to speed, yet I'm sure we've all done it. Besides, the closest FCC office and monitoring staion is in Seattle. No worries here. It also might suprise you to know that nearly every big rig you see on the road runs a modified radio of some type, and nearly all are putting out over 4 watts. I've been running my radio for 6 years, and haven't screwed up anyone else's radio. And I've never tuned anyones stock 4 watt radio in 10 years, and I've never seen a problem yet. I know, cause I have had the same stock radio, untuned, in my DD for 7 years. And my friends run stock radios, untuned, with no problems. SO I guess maybe I've just been really lucky for the last decade.

And FCC max is 4 watts for Citizens Band, I believe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses!

What I have learned -

Get an SWR meter.
Tune your CB.
Get good coax cables.
Good grounded antenna.

Harvey, you have a PM
Tony,
Don't buy a SWR meter, unless you have extra money. You can borrow mine. I can help you tune it if you want.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I had a radio in my sami and I tuned it. It made a huge difference and heres why. Basically according to the SRW meter and the guy helping me the attenna wasn't in a very good place. Moved the attenna and holy cow what a difference. With an unmodified radio I could usually transmit 2-3 miles and I could get people that were 4 miles away on flat ground. So while tuning the radio may not help if you are willing to mess with attenna location and how much coax you have you can really improve the performance of a radio.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=operations&id=cb

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ccess.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/47cfr95.410.htm

It is 4 Watts for normal CB. I mistyped.

The problem with amplification is the distortion that can occur. Probably even with a modified CB you aren't going to have enough power to really do major harm to somebody's CB. However, using a 10M Ham unit modified to run on CB frequencies you can really screw up somebody's CB. I've had it happen to me. I was on a trail run in Moab and a guy had a 10M Ham unit and kept upping his power to reach out a little further. Every single one of us with CBs in close proximity lost our radios. Why or How exactly this works I'm not sure. But I have a screwed up CB radio in my garage because of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts