Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time really getting into this whole 4x4 world, so hopefully you guys can bear with me and point me in the right direction, I just picked up an 85' GMC full size Jimmy lifted 3 inches in the body and soon to be 3 inch suspension with a SB 400 in place of the original 305. I believe everything else is stock from tranny/tcase/diffs. My exhaust is now needing to be replaced and I'm looking to go with headers to run dual exhaust off the 400. Will any headers that fit the 400 work or is there a specific type I should be looking for (keeping in mind the jimmy never came with anything over the 350). Told you I was a newbie, but just want to make sure I wont run into clearance problems.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
The headers will work on any small block application. From a 265 to a 400, the small block dimensions are all the same.

So, basically, you should be good to go. :thumb:

I ran a 400 for years, great engine. :deal:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
This is a little off topic from your post, but if you plan on doing any serious wheeling with your rig, I would recommend you ditch the body lift and rather than buying a lift kit you do a set of rear 52" springs up front and a shackle flip with 56" springs in the rear. That seems to work very well for several people here, and it is usually cheaper than buying a lift kit.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
on the other hand, I like the body lift, cheap lift, retaining a low center of gravity by not lifting the weight of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
on the other hand, I like the body lift, cheap lift, retaining a low center of gravity by not lifting the weight of the drivetrain.
My problem with a body lift is the only thing it gains is tire clearance, which can be had with a little creative trimming, and it puts lots of stress on body mounting points inducing excessive body flex.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have to keep the body lift due to my tranny is huge or build custom firewall and tranny tunnel.
I'm assuming you are talking about your 4runner? I can understand that on your rig. I don't think glfgd82 would have that problem though. I can live with a 1" body lift no problem or even a 2" if there is a particular reason it is needed, but I think a 3" body lift is more than anyone would ever really need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the notes guys, I just purchased this vehicle already with the body lift installed, its not going to be my "thrasher" vehicle, friend of mine and I are going to be building a full time off road truck over the winter, I pretty much want my Jimmy to be my daily driver that I can sling a bit of mud on every now and again, but not go overboard like some. Daily driver being the first and foremost point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts