Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to be off topic with the grand waggy thread, so here it goes. I will be the proud owner of a 1971 Waggy with the 360 and all stock. I have rims and tires that I want to install,but obviously need to put some space between me and the ground first. Been looking on line and have found a kit at BJs and one at Rustys. The one a Bj's is only a 4, and the one at Rusty's is 6 in. I am not sure that the one at Rusty's will work on my Rig...something about the frame being too old. the kit at BJs will, but I would like more that 4in of lift (bigger is better, correct?:bowdown: )

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :beer: Thanks!

Jeep on!:drive:

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clean one owner huh, we did the rattle can "make over" just because it was a very baddly fadded baby blue (interior still is, that will change) Motor is strong, but we still have a few mechanical issues to address. Have to lift it...help!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I didn't want to be off topic with the grand waggy thread, so here it goes. I will be the proud owner of a 1971 Waggy with the 360 and all stock. I have rims and tires that I want to install,but obviously need to put some space between me and the ground first. Been looking on line and have found a kit at BJs and one at Rustys. The one a Bj's is only a 4, and the one at Rusty's is 6 in. I am not sure that the one at Rusty's will work on my Rig...something about the frame being too old. the kit at BJs will, but I would like more that 4in of lift (bigger is better, correct?:bowdown: )

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :beer: Thanks!

Jeep on!:drive:
Check out www.ifsja.org there is a ton of information on this very subject.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey, nice start. I am glad to see you got it!!! I could have sworn that BJ's introduced a pre 76 lift... oh well. What size rims and tires do you have?
I am a big fan of less lift - more fender triming. You can fit 35's on that bad boy with no lift if you wanted to... but a 4" lift and minor fender whacking would work great and give you enough flex to boot.

Let me know when you get that thing trail ready and we can go wheelin!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BJ's is the only place that seems to carry a pre 76 kit. I contacted Rusty's yesterday, and the 6 in that I was looking at is 76+. I believe that for now I am going to go with the 4in lift and 31in tires, just because I just bought the ones on the CJ to put on here. I will go bigger when the time arrives to get new tires. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice camo. Hey take a look at the leaf springs I think you can do a spring over on that rig for about 4" of lift and its pretty cheap to do and easy

·
Registered
140 Posts
...with Stock Axles And 31's On An Fsj, A Spring Over Would Not Be A Wise Choice Imho. Fsj's Need All The Stability And Center Of Gravity Help They Can Get. I Would Rather Spend The Money On A Quality Suspension Setup Than Fab Up A Spring Over And Have To Muck Around W/ The Steering And Driveline.
Besides, The Stock Springs Suck Off Road.
I Have Had A Superlift 4" Set Up And I Snaped The Pasenger Side Front Spring On An Easy Trail, And The Flex Sucked. I Have 4" Bj's Springs On It Now And They Are Great. They Are Stiff But They Flex And Stick To The Terrain Realy Well.
I Always Thaught It Would Be Cool To Set Up A Fsj Like A Xj... Coils Up Front And Leaf's In The Rear. Jeepspeed Here I Come!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree with Tortoise with the lift from Bj's. I have Bj's 6" and 35's and I love it. The ride is a little stiff but the flex is nice. Also when you go with Bj's you get most everything that you need (shocks, pitman arm, brake lines, s leafs,...) Tortoise and I are trying to find time to go wheelin (I so far have been the one stopping that, school sucks!) let us know and we can hit the trail.

Also I would buy a million cans of PB blaster and start soaking every nut and bolt you will touch now!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
PB Blaster and a big a$$ breaker bar. You will want some heavy duty ratchet straps and a big pry bar to get the rear lift springs on :)

Go on www.ifsja.org if you haven't already, and surf the forums...good knowledge base there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you plan to take it into the rocks, you will be much happier with a spring over axle conversion with the stock springs, repositioning all the shock hangers above the axles, and using flat-top steering knuckles so the steering linkages are high up. Otherwise, everything will get bent up after a few trail rides. If you just want height to clear larger tires, a bolt-on kit is awfully tempting. Cost would be about the same either way if you or a buddy can weld. Reusing the stock springs and pitman arm and drag link will save money to buy the special knuckles.

Be prepared to use an Oxy-Acetyline torch or Sawz-All to cut the old rubber spring bushings out of the eyelets. You might spend more time doing this than everything else combined if you are not prepared with the right tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts