Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving the yota back and fourth to work for the last few days (approx 20 mile round trip) when I put it in the driveway this afternoon I noticed that gear oil was leaking out of the rear third member breather tube( about 4 feet long) the tube runs nearly straight up thru the bed and comes out in front of the tool box...any ideas on why??? I know it has to be heat but the housing is hardly even warm to touch.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Too much oil? I had trouble with my 8.8 doing that, ended up putting the vent higher up and putting less oil in it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, oil is level with bottom of filler plug,

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Mine was too, but that was too much since I have the pinion sitting close to 20* from horizontal. :thumb:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
You may have water in the oil as well. I would drain it and refill it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
loop your vent hose into a spiral at the at the axle so that the gear oil will run back in while allowing it to vent. having it straight up and down will purge oil every time...I put yellow coily air hoses on my yota and I havent had any problems with 529's going to carnage etc. 100 plus miles round trip @ 70mph..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like rodzilla said, put a loop in the breather tube. I also added a cheap vw plastic fuel filter on the end of mine to keep it free of dirt. It sound like it is acting like a siphon.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts