Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 7.3l PSD with new glowplugs installed. Engine cranks but doesn´t start when cold.
Any idea what went wrong?

·
Registered
545 Posts
How much is it driven? If it is old fuel in the tank from the fall or summer then the fuel has probably gelled in the cold. In the states it is typical to run "winter" diesel which is about a 50/50 mixture of diesel and kerosene.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it is because you need to hit the gas pedal a few times then turn the key. i have the same problem with my truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you frogger!
You really think so? Sounds like air in the fuel line?

I thought maybe a blown glowplug relais is the reason.
What you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe that is the problem. If you put new glowplugs in then I do not know. I have to press the gas a few times before my truck will start when it is cold. If I can find out what hte problem is I will let you know. O.K.

·
Registered
393 Posts
are you plugging the motor in at nights? Up to the 01 trucks they were pretty finicy below 25 dergrees, Also partially plugged fuel filter, An already flooded engine due to cranking speed, tired crank trigger or low rail pressure due to low output fuel pumps. Using the trottle during start up is a learned experience with the power strokes, they each seem to be a little different and cold weather really brings that out. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
frogger101 said:
it is because you need to hit the gas pedal a few times then turn the key. i have the same problem with my truck.
hey frogger101 i think everyone knows that. you goof. JP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok some PSD tech, first the PSD has a electric throttle so pumping the peddle shouldn't change shit with the key off. With that said if the throttle transducer is going out all kinds of electrical stuff starts showing up. If the truck is hard starting it's very normal on older PSDs ( I plug mine in anytime its below mid 30s) If you didn't check the glow plug relay? I'd start there !! Use a test light when the key is turned on it should show power across the relay for up to 2min. If the relay is only comming on for a few seconds , there's a problem between temp sensor and computer.The relay is a very common failure. note: it's not an ordinary starter relay, you have to pony up for the big dollar GP relay. Next the good ole CPS ( crank position sensor) it's common for CPS failure when cold, below 20, then it works after it warms up. It's a very fustrating problem. Next and last common PSD starting problem, batteries, they may seem to be alright. PSDs really like to be turned over at a high rate ( it's so the high press oil pump can pressure up the injectors) so we all know batts don't like the cold and if their starting to weaken at all you'll be chasing ghost for days. If the batts are over 3 yrs old and everything else checks out, change them. Good luck Pepper

·
Registered
89 Posts
Damm PSDs, mine is getting it's 3 yr glow plug change today. Thing takes about 10 trys to start under 40 degrees..... Let us know how it turns out.

Ken those HP pumps ever come down in price?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Your right Ken, some tech that we learned from my 2000 I had.

If the oil in the engine is low, it will not build up enough pressure to open the injectors...

I bought a lemon of a truck before we moved up here, and from Sacramento to Boise pulling a 25' enclosed trailer, it burned 9 quarts of oil:darn:

That being said,after we towed the load here, pepper and I started driving down the street with it, and it died and would never start again...

Towed it to the Ford dealer and found out that it was 9quarts low on oil, they said they poured oil in it and it started right up.....:darn:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I was wondering why you said my truck started so nice. I don't even bother with the grid heater when it's 40*... just fire it up. :thumb:

When I was in AK our fleet we has about 10 00-01 F-350s all diesels. Forget to plug on in when it was -15 and no way it was starting.. the starter wouldn't turn the engine over fast enough.

pepdaddy said:
Damm PSDs, mine is getting it's 3 yr glow plug change today. Thing takes about 10 trys to start under 40 degrees..... Let us know how it turns out.

Ken those HP pumps ever come down in price?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Damm Dodge owners,
The PSD sure looses it's luster in the cold weather. Another thing I thought of: This works for all Smokers if you run additive when it's cold it lowers the combustion point of the fuel making hard starts a little better. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
there might have been a bad glowplug in amoung the good ones. that could be the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well frogger you dumb (I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)er you don't even have 1 all u have is a piece of (I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)ing shit chevy like 30 years old you ***** lol

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
madpower11 said:
well frogger you dumb (I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)er you don't even have 1 all u have is a piece of (I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)(I have a potty mouth)ing shit chevy like 30 years old you ***** lol
If this is the quality of your posts, take a hike.

First and last warning.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts