Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been woundering what kind of truck would be best for a newbie to start out with. any info or opinions are welcome thax

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Personally, I prefer Chevy's... Parts and mods are EVERYWHERE, and generally, they are cheaper..

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. I've always liked olders Toyota's and they can be had for cheap. But if you need something stonger there all kinds of options. Do you need a truck or something else? What kind of budget do you have? That can make a difference.

Welcome to the board. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm trying to sell my 63 gmc for like 900 or less and getting 450 for some work i did at the local fair. it will be for dayly driving, fun, and camping. most likely trails. looking for a truck or suv like a s-10, s-10 blazer, or ranger, or a yota hope this halpes.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Any one of those will work. You can throw a Lock rite in the rear axle and since they are light, you can get around pretty good. I would lock up the rear before even buying taller tires or a lift. You would be amazed at the difference it can make.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
883 Posts
rednecknation4x4 said:
i'm trying to sell my 63 gmc for like 900 or less and getting 450 for some work i did at the local fair. it will be for dayly driving, fun, and camping. most likely trails. looking for a truck or suv like a s-10, s-10 blazer, or ranger, or a yota hope this halpes.
Welcome!!

Call us!! We have a toyota for sale, gonna sell it for cheap..
Or if you want, look into getting a samuari, they are alot of fun, cheap to build as well as maintain..

916-835-8652

Amber
http://www.hbrk4x4.com

:thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was thinking does anyone know if a brat would make a good truck for the trails.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
AJ Johnson said:
welcome to the board..... :finger:
holy triple post dipshit :finger:

I wouldn't get a subaru brat for wheeling. I would recomend trying to find a old toyota with the solid axle up front. If I had to do it over again that is what I would have built instead of this big turd

just my .02 cents[/quote]

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Never say never...

My Subaru Wagon did pretty well. If you do go with a brat, get one with the dual range transfer case. You really need that low range. Believe me.

[/url]

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
781 Posts
definatly 79-85 toyota, preferably an 85 for the fuel injection and striaght axle, also the early 80's trucks had a less than desireable transmision, toyotas are cheap to buy, cheap to lift, the only real weak link is the birfield joints, and $250 fixes that, a brat would be unique, but to bring it up to todays trail standards would be alot of work and expense even if you got the car for free. a middle 80's truck should cost around $1-2000 depending on condition.
I say TOYOTA, surprise, huh. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Sandman said:
Never say never...

My Subaru Wagon did pretty well. If you do go with a brat, get one with the dual range transfer case. You really need that low range. Believe me.

[/url]
GOOD GAWD MAN! Im glad you got that blazer. Im not sure I would have let you park that subaru under my car port :finger:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
one other question what about a bronco 2 / ranger? that is what changed my mind to get in to 4x4's, before i was going to buy a 82 vw rabbit. i went with a friend caming this year and he had a bronco 2 with 3" lift and 31" w/ the 2.9 and a 5 sp. it did well on the trails that we found.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you say newbie, do you mean new to modifying vehicles, or new to off roading and the related mechanics. If it is the first, you just can't beat a straight axle chevy. With something like a 350 under the hood and an old school auto, or better yet, an old four speed, there is no better (or cheaper) way to build up a rig.

If you already know your nuts from lugnuts, an o2 sensor from a sparkplug, and can spot a Dana 60 in the junkyard from a mile away, I say go for something a little more exotic. The solid axle toyotas are hard to beat, but I am a bowtie fan and say go with a blazer (K5 nott S-10)

Whatever you decide on should be way more fun than a rabbit, that's for sure.

$.02

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i know some stuff but most of it basics and if u did read earlier i'm selling my 63 gmc and i know about the old skool 4 sp. my gmc has a sm-420.

i'm new to off-roading not new to trucks and cars

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
those yotas are definately worth looking at... so is a K5...just depends on if you like mini4X4 or fullsize...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there are some truck in my area that are for sell like there is a k5 for 850 and some yota like a 80 650 and a 84 800. aslo some jeep cherokees. so all i have to do is get my truck sold and i should be on my way for some fun. :beer:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
:thumb:
Let us know which you get, and any questions you have along the way for building it up, we have several people here who have extensive experience modifying rigs who can help you out...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts