Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, im 15.... yeah young but i know more about trucks than anyone in my skool. my dad recently gave me his 83 K5, which we put a new crate 350 in, rebuilt tranny, transfer case, and new axke shafts.... I have been driving this truck off road in the local mud holes since i was twelve so i do know how it handles, and i am a fairly proficient wheeler.... i want more travel out of my suspension..... but no more than 5" of lift..... i read up on those 52" springs off the rear of a K5 that Mr.Sandman used on his.... and it intruiges me... i saw you say 24 inches of travel..... that is amazing.... i very good with metal, i am currently working on my front tubular bumper, and after that a roll cage. have any of you used quad shock mounts on a K5? i will stop typing now, thnx for anyhelp.....

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Welcome to the board! :thumb:

The quad shocks only work in certain applications. Like sand running or in areas where a single shock will get hot and stop working well. Normally, its just an extra shock up front.

The rear springs up front work great. I left the spring clamps and the overloads on the keep the springs from twisting and dying under a heavy torque load. Down in Moab another guy had removed the clamps and the overload and it was outflexing mine by a good deal. I'm waiting to see how long they last as I have ruined them in the rear without the overloads from overflexing.

Got pics? :deal: :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here's my scout with 52s in front and 56s in the rear and 36" tires. No overload on the front, with overload in rear. The jack is maxed out at 35" and obviously the tires are stuffed against the sheetmetal, so there is more flex left. So far (one trip) it does well offroad. I did bend the main leaf on the front left, but I hit it pretty hard a few times and the shackles are in the front instead of the rear, like the chevy's.

More pics: http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/album158

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what kinda modification to the spring hangers do you have to make?.... are the rear springs you are talking about longer than stock front springs, or is it that the arch is just greater to where it offers more travel.... sorry i have so many questions, but i want this done right and no Mr.Sandman, i dont have any pics yet... digital camera is down.... my dad fried the batteries to it and i have no disks yet..... im also going to make a custom ram air system, i hopefully will be getting a tig welder for christmas and i will be doing the hood with that, as well some other patching.... rusty floorboards lol

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
OK,

The rear springs are 5" longer then the regular ones. To make up the distance the front mount moves forward 4". Basically, you take the spring mount off and move it to the front bolt holes and also move the "L" part to the front also. Putting the stock bumper back on will require some work. May not matter for you. Getting the stock steering to work will be also very tight as the axle moves forward 2" when its all over. The stock draglink will be small and you will loose the steering on any kind of droop. The rear springs also dont have the right bushings to wrok right. You end up with gaps. I cut off the bushing ends off of the old lift springs and stuck then in there.

Look here at some pics. Notice the spring hanger moved forward but the "L" is not in place yet. PhotoAlbum

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well..... i guess im gonna buy 4 inch lift springs for the rear..... and buy some stock springs for he front, and fabricate my own spring hangers and shock mounts....... and the stock bumper will not be going back on so i aint gotta worry bout that one lol....

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
why buy springs for the rear? all you need to do is change your rear mount to where the shackle hangs down, instead of pointing up... Here is an excellent article on ColoradoK5 that tells how to do it.. This is what sandman has, and what I am in the process of fabricating right now..
http://www.coloradok5.com/shackleflip.shtml

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have heard of these done on jeeps..... can you also do this to the front, or is there too much of a risk of damage....... so if this is what sandman did it should give me what 4" of lift.... and an assload of articulation

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
no, the front uses a different type of spring hanger, that is why you use rear springs on the front. All total you end up with 4" front and rear if you do it this way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive been thinking about putting some 52"s up front but dont have the money for crossover. So i was thinking about doing what they did in Petersons and move the shackle hanger back. Then it would only be about 2inches forward and i could use a Zero-rate to get it back close to stock. Anyone have an opinion on this? Would there be a problem holding me up that anyone can think of? Weldboy, the reverse shackle on jeeps moves the shackle from the front(by bumper) to the back of the front spring. The chevy is a shackle flip, it points the shackle down instead of up like it is stock, just some FYI.

Later

·
Registered
268 Posts
Crossover steering is pretty much mandatory with the 52" springs. The flex wont allow the drag link to have the proper geometry to steer right.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Yeah, you could make it work with the stock setup but when your flexed out you wont be able to turn. I had this problem real bad even with the normal length springs and the stock draglink. I just couldnt turn left when I needed it.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think i might go with it anyways. I mainly do mud pits and plan to do trails here in the midwest. The trails here dont really get twisty, so i think i should be ok. I just want to lift my vehicle and do it cheap, so this looks like a good option. Sandman, have you ever driven your vehicle on the street? My truck is my DD so i dont want something that is really squirelly on the street. Thanks

Later

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am also curious as to the streetability of this lift process...... it just seems like it may be to soft, and not handle the road to well.... mine is also my daily driver, i will have to drive it too school and work, and i also plan on road trips during the summer.... you think i would be ok with this?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
It should be fine. I've driven mine all over including the freeway and it handles fine with no extra sway or anything. This mod has been done many times to daily drivers.

I say do it! :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok.... i feel as if im beating it into the ground.... but i want to be sure that i do this the right way...... i understand how the rear setup works.... no problems with it..... but on the front now, did you put a pair of shackle hangers and shackles onto the frame there? b/c i really dont understand how this is gonna work out, i went and looked under my blaz today, and it just dont look right to me, or from what you guys are saying.... do i remove the current spring hangers and put shackles there?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
OK, the rear shackels stay the same. They will hang back slightly with the new springs. The front is what gets moved. Look at his huge pic:

See how the front spring hanger is moved forward on the body mount? There is also an "L" bracket that needs to be moved up front. This moves the mount forward by 4".

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Just in case you want to do a little more fabbing you can also use 3x3 1/4"wall square tube to make the front hangers. Thats is what I did. My springs are a little bit longer than 52" though so it was kind of neccesary for me. As far as the xover steering goes you will will thank yourself over and over again if you make it the next mod after the lift. It really does make a huge difference, even in the mud. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats was part of my plan, do the 52" for a lift, go x-over then upgrade axles and tire size. Im hoping i can do this before spring break when i go Colorado, hoepfully it will pay off too. Thanks for the info guys.

Later

1 - 20 of 21 Posts