Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:

The steering box on my TJ is leaking and has been for awhile. I haven't pulled it off for a rebuild because I know that it won't go as fast as I'd like it to go...my Jeep will likely be down for a full weekend considering my moderate mechanical skllls, :lame: experience on Jeeps, and consistently sh*tty usual luck. So I bought a box online at Ebay, a rebuilt one which spent six months installed after the rebuild. The guy removed it for...crap...I can't remember. An upgrade, I think, like to a PSC setup. That's why the guy sent along various and sundry hoses as well.

I bought it with the intention of just swapping the newly-purchased one in, rebuilding the one I take off (rebuild kit was about $40, I think), and then recovering my investment by selling the rebuilt box on Ebay. It occurred to me, though, that I haven't got a clue if the seller of the rebuilt box was straight up with me. I don't want to spend a weekend swapping in this rebuilt box just to find out that it leaks, too. That'd be a pisser.

So....input, please? :confused: Is there a way I can pressure check the box I bought without installing it? If so, who do I talk to? If not, do y'all have any other recommendations besides installing the rebuild kit I purchased for my box on the rebuilt box? That's the way I'm leaning right now...rebuild one, install it, then rebuild the other. Just to be sure. I'd sure like to hear that I have other options, though, because I haven't got that kind of time.

By the way, if any of y'all have any hints or warnings about changing out the steering box on a TJ, I'd love to hear them. My Haynes Repair Manual basically says "take out the old one, put in the new one." Well, it's a little longer than that, but not much. I already know that the steering wheel needs to remain straight and locked while I do this. But that's the only warning so far.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wish that I could help....I am acutally gathering up parts to put power steering into my CJ5.:drive:

I would think that if you already have the newer box, and the rebuild kit, rebuild the new one (to be safe) and then install it. If you don't have the kit, when it doubt......

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Pretty much as simple as take the old on off and put the new one back one. You'll need a pitman arm puller, and a fairly large socket. I think it's 1 3/16", but I can't remember.

You can turn the steering wheel if you want, the steering column can only go on 1 way. Though you probably would mess up the clock spring in the wheel if you turned it too much.

To bled it, get the tires off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock 10-15 times without the engine running. Keep adding power steering fluid if needed.

That's about it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've got th pitman arm puller, but I'll need the socket. I love a good excuse to go buy more tools. And thanks for the bleeding tip, Nate. I was planning on coming back and asking about that, too...being as I've never done anything to power steering beyond fill the res.

-Mikey-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts