Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark and I are in the process of building another mud racing truck. We purchased a 1953 Willy Jeep 3B that was built some time ago and are in the process of rebuilding it. It came with a 327 Chevy, TH350/205, Dana 60 rear and 44 front with 4.88 gears.

Our plans are to strech the wheel base out to approx 102 inches, replace the 327 with a big block 496 with Nitros. We are keeping the th350/205 but installing a trans brake and manual valve body with th400 sprag and 700 r4 sprag.

This weekend we pulled the steering box and the front suspension off, built a new mount for the steering box. We moved the rear shackles toward the front and installed a shorter spring which gained about 1.5 inches. It also lowered the Jeep about 4 inches. We also removed all the rear suspension and torched off the brackets and crap from the rear D60 and built the mounts for the four link to attach to. We moved the rear axle back about 16 inches which should put us close to the 102 inch wheelbase we are looking for.

Hopefully I can figure out how to post photos.

Attachments

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I have seen that one before under a tarp when I went looking for my crewcab last year.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you see it at? Rumor has it was running around eastern Idaho mud races. I had never seen it race on this side of the state.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I will have to think about which road that was on but I remember it was up on the hill north of highway 44 somewhere.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You must have seen it at the same place Glen picked it up from. A guy named Baker has a whole bunch of trucks and parts at his place north of Star.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
i recognize the jeep as well from my past mud racing when i was in auto tech in high school...That thing was wicked fast!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm not exactly impressed with the design of those front spring hangers, but I always have street driving on my mind.

Keep us posted, that thing could be way cool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
that thing is FRIKKIN AWSOME!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Its more than just the front spring hangers that are scary. We are in the process of re-engineering the whole suspension. The shackle reversal was a nitemare. The rear front spring mounts were only 3x3x1/4 angle iron partially welded to the frame with the shackle welded to another piece of angle on the bottom. We are currently roughing in the wheel base dimensions and placement of the motor and transmission. Once that's done then we will complete the re-enforcement of the mounts.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
:thumb: I need to stop by and see how things are coming. You guys are going to kick the Dawgs butt! You will also give Ron Lewis something to worry about :thumb:. Can't wait to see it run.

Edit: I just noticed that it says "PS3" on the front. Did it really use to run in Pro Stock?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the PS3 was from Soda. If they let Tom Woods run PS I dont see why they wouldnt let this run. Although we are not even considering pro stock. This is a Mud Mod rig that we want to play in Pro Mud like the Dawg. It should be pretty fast. Off the gas we are looking at 650 to 700 hp. As for the NOS we are going to start at around 250 hp and go up until we start having heat issues with the plugs. Our biggest concern is going straight. As for beating the Dawg, we will see. Off the gas we will have 200 hp less but will be almost 1000 lbs lighter. Should be a good race. The Dawg has set a pretty high mark. We should know we have been chasing it for 4 years now.

Once we get the small block out we will have to grind out or torch out the bad spots and re-weld. The scary thing isnt the hangers so much as the welding. Like Mark said some of the brackets are nothing more than a small section of light angle with some of the nastiest welding I have ever seen. The funny part is that with the exception of the steel fabrication every thing else is over done. Any bolt long enough to accept two nuts were double nutted some even had nylock nuts with a double nut. They had front springs out of a 3/4 ton truck with no give at all and no shocks on the front. The rear had the stock jeep springs with traction bars and dual shocks( even the shocks had double nuts on them). The cross member had uni strut bolted to the cross member to drop the t case.

All in all we felt that it was a pretty good platform to start with.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Any idea when it ran in the mud last? I don't remember it, but there are so many rigs at Soda it's hard to remember them all. With the power you are talking about I think I would make sure the Jeeps chassis is reinforced good to handle the torque twisting you are going to be putting it through.

Going straight will be a challenge. You're going to be hanging on like we do in the Dawg now:thumb:. Going that fast in a short wheelbase rig makes things happen REAL fast :drive:

Your right, all the Jeeps I run against weigh a thousand pounds less than the Dawg does. I wish I could figure out a way to lighten it up more. Not much left in the body to get rid of that would make any difference. It's all in the frame, but that's what keeps it from twisting like the Jeeps do.

HA! You said everything was double nutted. Looks like you are going to carry on it's tradition.....Two nuts building and racing it:rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
360 Posts
This has been a double-duty thread for me, as I've read about the newby 3B (man, those are the ugliest of the jeeps, even if they have all the short wheelbase benefits the CJ-2s and 5s do) and now I've read about the Dawg. Over 800 HP in a 82" wheelbased vehicle? Hell...even if you've pushed out the axles and/or stretched it to the standard 102"/106" - that'd be like the Alpha Squirrel taking two hits off a crack pipe just before the annual Nut-N-Back race. Of course, if the Alpha Squirrel can keep his mind on the goal, he'd probably win...

No! Wrong message! Crack is bad, boys and girls! Whew...okay...back to your regularly schedule crappy emails. Or something like that. Here...let me put this pipe down.

Good luck! I'll be watching, so give us all the dope on your build. Especially when you've found the need to fix something someone else already hosed up. Those are the best lessons of all...and since I've never owned one of those jeeps I can say with confidence that those lessons won't be at my expense.

I didn't do it. Not me. Nope.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I was looking at this picture and saw how the pully and belt were hanging down exposed. You probably plan on it, but you need to figure out some way to protect the bottom of the engine area from mud, rocks, corn stocks, barb wire and whatever elce we run into in the pits from causing unwanted mishaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Its on the list. With the engine swap it will be a different set up, but we plan on closing off the grill and putting some kind of shield beneth the front of the engine plus close in the fenders like we did on the Pick-up. I have never seen a fan belt setup like this one, its one belt running everything. The alternator on one side and the PS pump on the other. Maybe a poorman's serpentine set up.

And nice "double nut" comment! :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I think maybe you have found a name for the new beast :rotfl: :jeep: :rotfl:

I had a feeling you were going to close in the whole front end. It's pretty open now. With the radiator in the rear, that will make things easier. I'm anxious to see it run.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts