Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My wife and I recently moved from IF out the Portland area, and I sold my 81' Scrambler to help with the move.

As a reward, the wife has let me start in on her 91' YJ.

Some thing about me and, " idle hands".

But any ways here's a few pics.

The front is pretty much just a frame cover with a place to mount some 7" lights (I'm working on making those as well) and a couple of hooks for recovery.

The rear has gotten a little crazy, started with some ideas that I thought would be really usefull on a general trail rider. It has a built in storage, about 8x5x36", CB Ant. mount, I'm working on building in a stub axle to sever as the pivot for the tire/hi-jack/gas can arm, and just today finished some skids that come forward from the rear to protect the rear quarter.

both started as a pile of 1/8 and 3/16" steel

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
:thumb: Welcome to my part of earth

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the area. I to came from the Portland area (Beaverton) and love it out here. Hope to see ya on the trails.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I am liking it out here.

going to keep posting as I build, hope to have it all done soon, so that I can get up to Brown's Camp.

·
Registered
65 Posts
lookin good, if you end up needing anything parts wise let me know, I can cut you some local guy deals.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,

Still more build pics. Got the back 2 peices of 3" welded in place and smoothed.

With these 2 peices in place you can get an idea of the storage space. Not a lot, but when dealing with the interior space of a Wrangler, any little bit helps.

It should be good for my strap, a couple of clevis's, and my hitch when not in use.

Also, drilled the hole for the trailer wiring, and got started on the top locking plate.

I want to try and finish this one, as I have all of the steel to build a second one.

Thanks for checking out my build.

-Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hello,

didn't get to much done during the holidays, but that's ok.

I've been working on the swing are and tire carrier. I've had the swing arm mocked into place and it held me up (200 pounds!!!!) so I'm excited about that.

Any ways here's some more progress pics.

-Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jeff,
Nice work, a little warning on your pivot for the swingout. If I'm correct in guessing that you're using a 1000lb trailer spindle ( 1" berings and 1.5" overall ) you may want to consider changing out to a 1750lb before you get too far. I built 30 bumper using those and had about 6 break. None of the bigger units have failed. It cost me plenty of free labor and dollars to get this experence. The bad part is how they fail, shear off right on the bottom. If I hadn't of used screw-in latches one would of fallen off on the freeway!! The first one to fali only lasted 4 months on a DD rig with a 35" MTA and High Lift as the load. Just thought I'd throw that out for you to think about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello,

Yes it is a 1000 lbs trailer spindle. I ordered it from Norther Tool, but there are a couple of places to get them.

I work as a machinist. So I manage to make most of the peices myself.

Steve at CBI, can do the whole spindle, bearings, and housing for a great price. That way you don't have to try to find any parts.

I would be interested to see a pic of one of your bumpers, pepdaddy.

I appreciate the help. Building a full bumper is a lot of work, I've been on this one for about 3 months now.

I'm having a hard time visulizing what your talking about, in regards to them shearing.

The spindle itself, or the mounting??

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello,

Me Agian, got some more update pics.

The First few are of the swing away tire carrier Arm and tire mount. Then some of the front bumper and tow hooks, get a coat of Krylons best.

And the last couple are a tie in to another post of mine about fitting 33" tires with no lift, so far so good, they fit with no flares and after some trimming the TJ flares fit on and provide a little bit of up travel.

Enjoy,

Thanks for checking it out,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I FINALLY finished something. http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/images/smilies/rotfl.gif

Got the front frame cover and aux lights finished, painted, and installed.

I tried them out last night and am in LOVE!!, it's amazing what a difference a set of lights can make when driving at night.

Still working on the tire carrier arm, and hope to have the rear done in the next couple of weeks, should be ready for some Oregon wheelin'

Thanks for checking it out,

-Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got more pics to post. Did some gussets on the tire carrier, (I took a cue from Steve at CBI's, "Rogers Big Jeep" Post) and added some speed holes.

Also worked out the lower mount for the High Jack.

Starting to get down to the details now.

Thanks for checkin' it out.

Jeff:thumb:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts