Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this 1990 K-5 Blazer. Its got about 6" of lift and 37" swampers. Thing is in pretty decent shape. Wondering what anyone thinks i should do next. Im new to the whole offroad world so I'm not sure what would be good to do next. I was thinking maybe new shocks all the way around and a dual steering stabilizer kit. Its got the stock 10bolt axles with different gearing, not sure what gearing it has in it but when in 4wheelLo it crawls pretty good at idle. Let me know what you guys think. Im not lookin to drop thousands into this thing. Im lookin for it to be a good trail/mud rig. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
take it out and wheel it....inspect it...wheel it....inspect it.....things that show wear or you dont like, change.

i reccomend a winch, then lockers. they are worth there weight in gold when in a sticky situation.

trev :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's a good looking blazer. I had an 83 on 35's. I think that you need to figure out how much wheelin your going to do and then put the money in wisely. That 10 bolt will not hold up to serious abuse and I would not put lockers in it. Instead, look for a 14 or a 60 that already has some kind of locker. Like Trevor said, take it out and see what happens. Most of us didn't start out with hard core wheelin in mind. It just happens....
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good looking blazer. I had an 83 on 35's. I think that you need to figure out how much wheelin your going to do and then put the money in wisely. That 10 bolt will not hold up to serious abuse and I would not put lockers in it. Instead, look for a 14 or a 60 that already has some kind of locker. Like Trevor said, take it out and see what happens. Most of us didn't start out with hard core wheelin in mind. It just happens....
Good luck
What type of modifications would i need to do in order to swap the axle to a 14 bolt or a dana 60? Would shock mounts be the same and everything? Would it bolt up in or would other parts be needed basically is what im asking. Thanks.

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
Great look'n rig! I don't recommend dual stabilizers unless you have death wobble. They restrict your power-steering from doing it's job. I do recommend doing the frame-reinforcement kit for the steering box. Offroad Design sells a great kit. Big tires tend to crack the frame around the steering box. There's lots of stuff that you can do to that Blazer!

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
Axles can be found under any 3/4 or 1-ton pick-ups. Avoid the metric(c-clip) 14-bolt,thats found in the 80's model 3/4 ton. The 14-bolt you want will be in a 70's model or any 1-ton. 1-ton rear axles(14-bolt) spring mounts are wider than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton,but evrything else should interchange except u-joints. They do make conversion joints if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Axles can be found under any 3/4 or 1-ton pick-ups. Avoid the metric(c-clip) 14-bolt,thats found in the 80's model 3/4 ton. The 14-bolt you want will be in a 70's model or any 1-ton. 1-ton rear axles(14-bolt) spring mounts are wider than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton,but evrything else should interchange except u-joints. They do make conversion joints if needed.
Thanks for all the info. Really helps

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
One other real important upgrade would be, cross-over/high steer. That will help cure some of the bump-steer that you would experience on the trail. Also, when the front axle is flexxed out, you can still steer from sde-to-side.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
You can use a flat top knuckle from a 44 on your 10 bolt too.

I think 3/4 ton axles (14b full floater and either a 10b or Dana 44 front) Depends on your gears if you have 4.56s already or 4.88s it is unlikely you will find a used 14b with 4.88s, with 4.56s they come up now and again

After that crossover steering.

Then lockers.

Then more flex

Oh yah thats right you don't want to spend thousands.:thumb: Learn to do all the work yourself and it will save you thousands

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can use a flat top knuckle from a 44 on your 10 bolt too.

I think 3/4 ton axles (14b full floater and either a 10b or Dana 44 front) Depends on your gears if you have 4.56s already or 4.88s it is unlikely you will find a used 14b with 4.88s, with 4.56s they come up now and again

After that crossover steering.

Then lockers.

Then more flex

Oh yah thats right you don't want to spend thousands.:thumb: Learn to do all the work yourself and it will save you thousands
So a 14b for the rear and keeping my 10b in the front would be good? Not sure what gearing i have now, is there anyway to tell with out looking at the gears? prob not right.

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
If that has the 700r-4, more than likely 3:07 gears. You would better off finding a matched set of axles with the same gear ratio. Mainly because if you run a 14-bolt, you will aquire the 8-lug bolt pattern, and will need it up front as well. It'll be cheeper in the long run, rather than buying gears and 8-lug outers.

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
You can find 4:10 grs. in most, if not all 3/4t. diesel pick-ups. If you plan on doing the cross-over system, you will need a powersteering box from a mid-80's 2-wheel drive pick-up or suburban, the hoses on a 70's model won't match up. While your pulliing off the steering box, take the brake lines as well, they are longer than 4-wheel drive blake lines. You won't have to spend all the money on steel-braided ones. If you end up with a 14-bolt and it needs brakes, spend the money($250-400) and go with disc brakes,Black Widow Performance, it's well worth it!

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
be careful when looking at axles from a deisel many were 3.73 gears.

You should pull at least one of your diff covers(the oil probably needs changed anyway right?:thumb:). Most times there are numbers stamped on the ring gear that will tell you how many teeth are on the ring gear and the pinion gear. In the absence of numbers try to count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion gear then divide.

Depending on what gears you have will depend on what you will do as far as finding outers or a whole axle for the front. As far as the rear make sure it is a 14b full floater. Try to find a 3/4 ton rear axle and not a one ton axle. 3/4 ton is a direct bolt in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts