Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am new here and have questions about my 1987 gmc 2500 my main probblem is this, i use this truck to plow snow and bring out on the beach fishing . about a week ago i was plowing snow and broke my axel in the front rear, passanger side and noticed the drivers side making funky noises. i know the passengers side broke the axel as well as where it goes into the wheel . it is also looking very coastly to repair and have decided on getting a new front rear from a yunk yard. wich is where i am stumped they are asking the gear ratio and i crawled under the truck and spent 20 min trying to find a tag or any kind of info but found nothing. how can i find out the gear ratio on this truck any help is greatly appriciated

and my next question is this , i also have a 1983 chevy k10 4x4 pick up and was wondering if that front rear from the truck would fit in my 1987 gmc any help appriciated :beer:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Welcome to the board. :thumb:

This is throwing me a little: "front rear"

Are you talking about the front axle assembly?

See if the origianal option sticker is still on the inside of the glovebox door. It should have the gear ratio there. If not, let us know and I will describe how to do it the long way with the floor jack. Its not too bad.

The front axles will interchange but the count the lug nuts to make sure they are the same. the 2500 should have 8 while the k10 should only have 6. That would be one of the differences between the 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton.

Let us know what you find.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sandman thanks for the welcome i must say spent a while on here today and found alot of helpfull things i will be come a reg here now as well lol

ok what i ment by front rear is the whole drive axel i was gona get a front axel from a junk yard to kinda swing me through the rest of this year and put the bad axel in the garage and rebuild it , but it will be costly so i plan on doing it slow lol . your correct on the k10 having 6 lugs and the 2500 having 8 and i planned that it wouldent fit . the glove box seems to be original with 2 stickers in it but i dont see anything in there that says the axel ratio thanks again for the reply :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
help

i think in 87 they stopped putting what the truck has and went to just codes.

if the 6 lug front has the same gears as your old one you can take your 3/4 ton parts off and put it on the 6 lug front ( from the knuckle out to the hub) and get back to movin snow. i did this to my last front end, made a 6 lug to a 8 lug. good luck.

i have had 13 chevy trucks to work on and sandman is a chevy guy to

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok the sticker on the left just says about towing and there is a sticker on the right has all diffrent codes they seem to be in order with a b c g and others i cant remember :?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Well, the old fashoined way is too jack up one tire and turn the driveline and count how many times the driveline turned in relation to the tire. Like if the driveline turned a little over 4 times to one tire revolution, you would have 4:11 gears.

With a broken axle, that would not really work.

You might have to pull the front cover off, then rotate the driveline and watch the ring gear (big gear on one side). Count how many times the driveline turns in relation to the ring gear turning once.

There are also some numbers on the ring gear but I can remember if its stamped directly or a number that needs to be divided by a number on the pinion gear. Maybe somebody will chime in.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i appriciate all your help guys i called a gmc dealer today and after them bitching about i didnt buy the truck there they switched me over to parts and i talked with a parts guy he asked for the codes in the glove box and he told me it was 4:10s now the truck is a 1987 and im not the only owner and i have no clue weather the rears were ever changed b4 this and will alos try your method to make sure and your help has been greatly appricated :thumb: :thumb: :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Really the easiest and safest way :banghead: is to pop the covers and the ring gear will be stamped with two numbers such as a 41 11. Just devide the two 3.73 or what ever.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why not just swap the axle shaft. The inner is interchangeable between all 10 blts and the outers are interchangeable with D44s with internal locking hubs and all 10blts. They are also the same between 3/4 and 1/2 tons. It's cheaper and easier than changing out the whole axle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some of the snow melted here and i was able to get under the truck and get some # of the front axel here was what i have left side was stamped GM9 right side was stamped with #s 14030376 ? does this tell anyting ?a guy localy is selling a dana 44 with 4:10s do you think if i get the dana 44 if it would fit with no probblem. i belive it was out of a 1986 chevy ?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The Dana 44 and GM 10 bolt axles are totally inerchangeable with each other as long as the gear ratios are the same. from the stub shafts and knuckles out are even the same parts between the two

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone have some useful info on changing/repairing locking hubs on a 1991 isuzu rodeo? I suspect they are no longer functional due to all the wheels not grabbing except one. any responsed appreciated.
mike

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Mike I think an important question is Do you have a locker in the front??

If you don't have a locker up front then when one tire loses traction ie starts spinning all the power will be transfered to that tire. The one that has traction will not move at all. So in reality you only have two wheel drive not four. Post up some more info and people on here will be able to help you out.

Also on Autozones website they have free online repair manuals that will show you step by step how to replace your hubs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts