Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Dana 70 dually rearend and a Dana 44 front axle I am installing on an '83 Dodge pickup. The truck is in New Meadows at my brother's house, and I'm here in Nampa. Both axles need U-bolts, and I need some measurements taken so I can get some U-bolts made up before I go up to New Meadows this Friday. I need the inside width of the U-bolts, the shaft diameter, and the length. Any help I can get would REALLY be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What are the axles off of? I have a Dana 70 dually rear out of a 79 Chevy that has 4 1/8" diameter axle tubes (no that isn't a typo, those things are HUGE), but I don't know what they would be on another year/make vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Dana 70 was pulled from a mid to late 70s Dodge camper was what I was told. I tried to measure the axle tube, came up with 3 1/2 inches for mine.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The way I measured mine was to get a cloth tape measure (a.k.a. seamstress' tape measure), wrap it around the tube and divide by pi (3.141592.....).

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG your smart josh. I would have never thought of doing it that way.

I just use a set of calipers from my tool box to measure round stuff. maybe I should add a seamstress tape:gay: and calculator to my tool box :rotfl:

:beer:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Axle shound be 3 1/2" tubes. The u bolts are 9/16". As for length, dunno. The ones on my truck are like 16" :shocked:

This is on the D70 outta my 98 Ram 2500... I'm pretty sure the gassers are the same other than they have 35 spline shafts (diesels only got 32 spline)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! From what has been posted here and what I have found on the Net, I can get my u-bolts tomorrow. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well, at the time I was measuring, I didn't have any calipers, but I did have a seamstress tape so...

That's not so bad right? Overcome adversities and all that. :idea:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just wanna know why you have a seamstress tape....can you make me a sweater???? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts