Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok suspension guys, heres what i got , i put 8'' lift 52''(overload leaf removed) rear bds chevy springs on the front of my 88 chevy pickup

i used the stock frame mount and swing shackle from the rear springs on an old late 70's early 80's 2wd chevy(turned upside down) and used stock 4wd 80's chevy front spring mounts for the front of the spring

now the problem im having is , when i put the truck weight on the front end, the swing shackle folds all the way back, i moved the front mount forward from the first attempt since the axle was too far back anyway, and it still would bottom out the shackle, now i moved the rear mount as far back as it would go(about 1 1/2inch back from the original mount point) and now the spring wont compress at all

should i move it back and use a longer swing shackle?, how do i compensate for the angle on the axle if i do that(has a stock degree shim on the spring pack already), i don't want to raise the front of the spring any more than it is, since it already looks like the front of the truck may be higher than the rear now(im not that concerned about it being a little high, the 350 is coming out and a heavier olds 455 and divorced 205 t-case are going in ,so it should go down)

the bds springs unloaded measure 49'' from center of eye to center of eye, should i put the mounts at 52'' on center? or should they be at whatever the measurement of a stock rear mount spacing on a 70's-80-s chevy with the 52's are at (keep in mind it would be like having a shackle flip for the rear since the swing hanger is now flipped being used for the front)

thanks for any help

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Can you post a pic of the setup?

One from the side should help. Sounds like the shackle might be to short at a guess but some pics would help.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as soon as the ups guy shows up with my wifes new digital camera today, ill see what i can do (she may not even let me breathe on it)

i also think it may be that the shackle is too short

1 - 3 of 3 Posts