Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
85 4runner parts..anyone want to trade

I am in the process of piecing 2 85 forerunners together and need help figuring out what parts to keep and which one's I should just get rid of. I also am not sure what parts are selling for. Can anyone offer me any help.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd be happy to offer suggestions but you gave nothing to work with. What shape are they in? As for $$, check out similar parts on ebay and some of the Toyota forums. See what people are getting for their parts. I always thought the fiberglass top would go for a lot, but then I saw some going pretty cheap. Bottom line see what's broken on one and if it's good on the other, move it over. Some pictures probably wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was looking at a 4runner in Boise that had a parts runner thrown in the deal, did you buy these? THe runnner was black with rust around the wheel wells, and the parts runner was red with a smashed front end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im looking for answer on building an 85 4runner . i hear you need to rebuild the birthfield with 30 spine chrome allie shalfs . im looking at lifting the 4 runner. ,what is a cheap way of doing it .i want a good flex for off-roading and rock crawling .im going to put 5.29 gears and aussic locker is that a good combo for it.do you recommend putting a cross over steering in it.Do you need to put cross member for the trani and transfer case is a way of fab one up or buy one, and the question is up gradeing the brake. I own one 85 4 runner and the other is a 85 SR 5 both are in good shape , and are complete. vehicles with good stock part's on them .what to build one nice one out of them.thank you for any information on it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Upgrade the birfs to Longs and chrome moly shafts
Here for suspension and steering. All Pro Off Road
Marlin crawl box. Marlin Crawler : Dual Transfercase Systems
5.29s 38" tires.
Are you going to use the rig for offroad only or will you be driving it on the street and offroad? That would make a difference in what mods you want to make and for locker selection. Lunch box lockers are alright, but there are better choices, but not very streetable.
Get some high angle drivelines and you will be good to go.

What are you going to do with the other runner?

im looking for answer on building an 85 4runner . i hear you need to rebuild the birthfield with 30 spine chrome allie shalfs . im looking at lifting the 4 runner. ,what is a cheap way of doing it .i want a good flex for off-roading and rock crawling .im going to put 5.29 gears and aussic locker is that a good combo for it.do you recommend putting a cross over steering in it.Do you need to put cross member for the trani and transfer case is a way of fab one up or buy one, and the question is up gradeing the brake. I own one 85 4 runner and the other is a 85 SR 5 both are in good shape , and are complete. vehicles with good stock part's on them .what to build one nice one out of them.thank you for any information on it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I am still running the birfields. No breakage yet with 34s. If you want tires bigger than that then go with the Longfields.
A cheaper lift is to move the rear springs up front and use 56" Chevy springs in the back. (somebody correct me if I got it wrong). I used 5" lift springs from Alcan and Trailgear on mine, but I think they are too stiff. Good flex though.
5.29 gears and an aussie locker is good. Better yet a spool if it is for off-road only.
Crossover/hy-steer is a must!
Are you missing the crossmember? The stock one is okay, if you are going with dual transfer cases, get the crossmember from the same place. Marlin Crawler and Trailgear both have the same parts.
Both the above places have brake upgrades. Check them out.

I too am curious what you will be doing with the other 4Runner. I will be looking for instrument cluster, dash and console parts when I get back. Good luck with your project, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hi guy's I have a complete 85 4 runner .willing to trade all parts on it for other parts i need . The list i need is ,hightsteering ,5.29 gears,crossmember,aussiclocker or disbrake for the rear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts